• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem with M1009??

bus63kombi

Ok driving on the highway my i noticed that my cucv didn't downshift at 55 to accelarate, the accelaration was not good. I get off the highway and it was running rough, about 20 mins before this it ran great. So I then pull into a parking lot and it died. I replace the filter and bleed and it will not hold an idle and if you drive you floor it and it barely goes. Get it on the highway to get it home and it doesn't go fast I hit a hill and it starts to slow down. I then get off the highway and am on the road home and it dies. Then bleed try to bleed ago and it barely moves I think i hit about 10 mph. I get on my road and it dies and does not start anymore. it cranks then burbs and dies. and thats it. Could it be air. could it be IP. could it be LP.
Thanks

dilvoy

I had a similar , no power all of a sudden, problem and I fixed it on the side of the road with a pliers and a paper clip. You may not have the same problem, but you could easily check. There is a fuel return hose that brings fuel from the injectors to the top of the injector pump. The fitting that the hose is clamped to has a glass plunger that has a spring on one side of it. If you remove the fitting and can't blow air through it, the plunger is stuck and either buy a new one or break out the glass plunger and remove the tiny coil spring and reinstall the fitting. Clean any glass particles from the inside of the fitting so they don't enter your injector pump.

mangus580

for He downshift problem, make sure the kickdown switch at the throttle pedal is working properly. Do a search, and you will find pics Food of Mine.

bus63kombi

well the thing was it was working like five mins before all this happened. Ok I just checked the fuel pump, it works great, so It looks like the IP. That really sucks, Now I am on the hunt for an IP, and then i get to figure out how to put it in.
Thanks

85-m1028

dilvoy said:
I had a similar , no power all of a sudden, problem and I fixed it on the side of the road with a pliers and a paper clip. You may not have the same problem, but you could easily check. There is a fuel return hose that brings fuel from the injectors to the top of the injector pump. The fitting that the hose is clamped to has a glass plunger that has a spring on one side of it. If you remove the fitting and can't blow air through it, the plunger is stuck and either buy a new one or break out the glass plunger and remove the tiny coil spring and reinstall the fitting. Clean any glass particles from the inside of the fitting so they don't enter your injector pump.
Is this fitting on the top of the I/P I cant really place it, I have a rough idle and misses cuasing the whole truck to shake and vibrate badly, at elevation over 5000 ft she runs perfectly smooth I was thinking the pressure change might have affected the fuel return line ????

bus63kombi

The fitting on the top of the IP that the rubber line comes out to meet up with the little lines then goes back to the tank. 15mm deepwell will get it off. Worked for me. the only thing I am wondering is with the glass thingy inside gone, will that let air into my pump and loose my prime?

dilvoy

The glass plunger in the injector pump fuel return fitting I think is to even out any power pulses that the injector pump might sense from each injector. Fuel pressure from the injector fuel return lines affects injector pump timing and when the plunger is stuck it messes things up. I think the plunger is to help smooth out idle. My vehicle diden't idle any different without the plunger though.
85 M1028, If the fuel lift pump has a torn diaphram it can be affected by different atmospheric pressures. If you go higher it will have less pressure coming through the vent and a crack that may be sealed at sea lever may open up and let in air at elevation, which would put air into your fuel system and givy you poor running. A guy in Australia had a similar problem on his Humvee and the Humvee fuel lift pump is the same except that the vent in the top half of the pump body is not vented to the open air but to a vent tube. His enginr ran fine at all elevations, but would not hold a siphin at elevation. If it is an original pump It coulden't hurt to change it. Open it up after you remove it and tell us how much mud and crud was sitting on top of the diaphram, if you change it.

85-m1028

the lift pump was a brand new not vented type, I put in a new push rod as well, I did have to splice the hard line in a couple of places because I couldn't break the old one loose from the pump?? I would like to get a new one but I'm sure I anyone makes em??