• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

problem with oshkosh equipment BEWARE

Status
Not open for further replies.

prattcobra

Guys I bought a Cargo truck as you might have know and the transfer case went out they picked it up and returned it.

Since then the Alternator went out one a trip and batterys drained.. Tough *hit on that when I called them.

Called Talked to Casey and it went over his head. Said we don't touch them.

Well I have two leaks that developed and yet to have the parts to fix it my self. When I have had the problem Casey did not return my phone call I got him off guard and he said we did enough for you taking care of the transfer case.

Then I had to pay 870.00 to get the truck towed home..

I have two leaks .. They advertise the trucks are gone through.

I don't believe it.

all the rubber on the windshields were bad door handles were still broke ..

I told them to get me the parts and now they keep sending me a bill.

I feel I should not pay them a cent. for the parts that are like $700.00 that I still have to put on. Then two parts that they said were shipped were not included.

All I am asking is what would you do? I'm usually not an ******* but I feel I got sucked on my purchase from them.

3dAngus

That's a really tough one. I wouldn't think that by saying they went through a 30-40 year old truck, it meant they were going to give you a new one. It's still old, but looks better than most after "going through".

I feel horible for you. We all feel like we get "ripped off" sometimes. Not sure what you could, or should do. But why did you have to pay $870 to tow. Would it not have been more cost effective to fix in place? Just curious.

Sirblissfull

Alternators can be bad from the box or go bad 10 or 10 thousand down the road. They have no way of knowing if an alternator is going to " GO " bad they only know if its bad when they sell it.

The same with Gaskets they can blow brand new or last for ever.

Does it suck ohh heck yeah it does. Can a vehicle that went through 3 or 4 units in its active duty life then 2 or 3 owners before they did a visual spit and polish and obvious defect repair on it be expected to be perfect?

I would say no.

If they claimed to do a frame out restoration I can see being annoyed. However as I see it you named 2 things that are just as likely to be faulty on a new vehicle as one 40 years old.

Well now that I think about it I would expect the crappy plastic cars coming off today s assembly lines to break down as soon as they have your money.

FormerNewMVGuy

I have bought all my trucks from GL, never through one of the big surplus dealers, They seem like they get big dollars for there stuff. which i'm not prepared to pay.
They all leak , havent found one that didnt.
The big question that i have is, did they give any kind of warranty? Or did you buy it as is.
If it was an "as is " purchase ,and they still fixed the transfer case for you ,then im thinkin they did as much as they needed to...

Really need to know what the agreement was.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Unless you got a warranty, these are your issues. If I remember correctly, when you were looking for a truck, lots of people gave you lots of options. This was the one you chose, was there a reason you went with them over anyone else?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My condolences.
Is there a written warranty? If so, what does it say? If not, I'd say you're screwed, unfortunately.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I could see fixing the xcsae, maybe should have fixed the leaks at the same time, but the rest is just a MV thing

midcounty

I have to agree with the above posters. These trucks are 40 years old, not your typical low mileage late model vehicles. If they looked it over, saw nothing working improperly, and sold it as is, I think they went beyond their responsibility by changing the transfer case. If they remanufactured the truck, and posted a warranty, then they should stand behind it. It sucks that you are having problems, but I have two Deuces and they need maintenance and repairs like any other 40 year old truck would.

deuceman51

That is why I put a warrenty on the trucks that I rebuild, so the customer isn't left high and dry. I recently had to rebuild a truck for a customer that they bought from oshkosh equipment. They didn't do anything to it other than repaint the truck and put a few new hoses inside. Never touched the bearings, brakes, or anything else. I wasn't too impressed and neither was my powerline customer.

dozer1

Whats leaking? I agree with the posters who say if it isnt covered under a warranty, its your stuff to fix. A wise man once told me something about my M817 which currently has a project thread going. He said "It looks to me like you were looking for a hobby---and you found one" :) Those repairs are 90% of the hobby aspect of this for me

JDToumanian

I agree with the general sentiments of the other posters here. Depending on what the warranty (if any) states, I think you may have somewhat unreasonable expectations of your truck. From what I gather, they weren't selling the truck as "remanufactured", they were calling it "gone through" which means to me, checking and topping off fluids, inspecting brakes and tires, installing batteries, test drive, and the paint job. They probably fixed forklift damage and any other stuff that was missing or damaged when they got it from the government. Should you expect a good running truck? Absolutely, so I think they were right to replace your transfer case. But little stuff like door handles and leaks? I bet if you could go back in time and pluck a fresh 5-ton off the assembly line and have it here today, it would start leaking something from somewhere before too long. These aren't Peterbilts...

If you don't enjoy doing some maintenance, this will be a frustrating hobby. Wow, I need to remind myself of that next time I want to set fire to my M1009..... :cool:

Jon

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I once emailed OE about there PRICE, and that I COULD get 3 nice trucks for what they were asking ($20,000+ for a 818 ), got a NASTY reply, saying that there trucks were worth the price because of the work thay put into them, that "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" ,and that there trucks were NOT every day NICE trucks, there was more, but that was the gist of there reply.

Last edited:

jwright

I have looked at there web site and do not know how they keep there doors open. I mean $21,000 for a m51a2, $375 for a little chain and hook for a winch :shock: I will not be buying any thing from them until there prices come down, way down

Status
Not open for further replies.