• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problems during fluid/filter changes and leak issues

TheOxman

Hey everyone. So over the weekend I decided to knock out a bunch of basic maintenance on the deuce I just picked up. My goal was to change the air filter, change the oil, change the oil filters, change the fuel filters, and change the coolant.

I was able to change the air filter just fine. I started running into problems after that.

The primary fuel filter took a little while, but I changed it. Some nasty junk in there. I could NOT get the fuel line screw to thread back into the filter housing on either end. I noticed that the fuel line itself was looking a little iffy and was kinked, and I couldn't leave the truck sitting where it was, so I ended up cutting the fuel line on both ends and connecting them with rubber fuel line and clamps, bypassing the primary fuel filter. So, I need a new fuel line with nuts, one from the fuel tank to the primary filter and one from the primary filter to the next stop. I'd also like to replace the part of the filter housing that the lines thread into. Can anyone send me a link to where I could find those exact items? I am new to this and have done some searching, but I am not sure exactly what I should be looking for.

Next, the square drain plug for the oil filters was rounded down. I couldn't get it out. I still changed the filters, though it was a little messy. Any ideas on how to get that rounded down drain plug out?

In addition, I noticed a coolant leak. I have attached some pictures. Any idea where it's coming from?

The last two pictures: Is that wet spot near the bottom of the dipstick something I should be concerned about? Also, is that sticker valid in that I can ONLY use diesel?

So, all I did was change the air filter, the primary fuel filter, the oil, and the oil filters. I still have to change the coolant, the secondary and final fuel filters, and the coolant. I also have to repair my fuel line and repair a coolant leak.

I'd really appreciate any help in indentifying the source of the coolant leak as well as being directed to a source for the two fuel lines and the parts they screw into on both ends of the primary fuel filter housing.

I am very mechanically inept and am hoping I won't regret my purchase!

Pics attached, thank you all for your help.

Attachments

Heavysteven

The Diesel Only Sticker means your fuel density compensation has been bypassed. However i have heard you can still run it has a multifuel. I have the same stiker on my truck and have decided to stay with diesel.

chicklin

The Diesel Only Sticker means your fuel density compensation has been bypassed. However i have heard you can still run it has a multifuel. I have the same stiker on my truck and have decided to stay with diesel.
Yes, you can still run other fuels, you will just get varying degrees of performance based on fuel type. That's my understanding, anyway.

Heavysteven

I was going to change my fuel filers as well (weather permiting). I did not think removing the fuel lines was required to change the filters. Was going to buy a strap wrench first though.

When i have a questions about my truck i call CSI in Tallopsa GA 770-574-2033. Tom in parts would have the what you need, but they can be expensive...

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heavysteven, What would you use the strap wrench for?
When chaning the primary fuel filter. It makes it much eaiser if you remove the bolts holding the bracket to the frame. Then put the bracket under the top of the frame. Then reinstall the bolts. This drops the filter about 1/2 inch away from the generator. So you will have alot more clearence for the wrench. Can you take more pics with a wider view of the engine? With it running the fan can blow coolant/oil everywhere making a leak appear to be where it isn't.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First two pictures are of the turbo, with a slobber tube missing. Slobber tube is just a rubber pipe that takes excess crankcase pressure and gets rid of it other than on the engine. It's normal to have some oil coming out of there (if it does not 'leak' there, the engine may be low on oil). You really need to read the TM, especially the -10 TM on the deuce to see how changing the filters is supposed to be done. There is NEVER a reason to disconnect the lines for a filter change, only if you are replacing the original system with a spin on filter. End of rant.

TheOxman

First two pictures are of the turbo, with a slobber tube missing. Slobber tube is just a rubber pipe that takes excess crankcase pressure and gets rid of it other than on the engine. It's normal to have some oil coming out of there (if it does not 'leak' there, the engine may be low on oil). You really need to read the TM, especially the -10 TM on the deuce to see how changing the filters is supposed to be done. There is NEVER a reason to disconnect the lines for a filter change, only if you are replacing the original system with a spin on filter. End of rant.
I was using the -20 TM for all of my PM last weekend, and it specifically said:

b. Filter Housing Removal​
1. Disconnect fuel lines (6) and (12) from connector (3) and elbow (13).
And it showed pictures of disconnecting the fuel lines. I didn't do it just to do it.

Divemaster920

Banned
Enough said...
Here is my thought....
I was going to post..."are we trying to reinvent the wheel here?"
But I bit my tongue and did not.
NOW
I commend for TheOxman for trying...doing something....even if it was wrong HE did try.:-D
TheOxman learned.....
That is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about.
Enough Said...

Westech

CPL
look ox.. not to get down on you, but if something looks too involved to do PMCS it probably is. Like a too good of a deal... it probably is. There not going to have remove the engine to change the oil. I'm glad you looked at the TM before hand but there not fool proof. You still have to use good judgment and use your head.
I just get worked when people with really no mechanical experience or schooling get a 13K+ pound truck with no brakes (not saying your does not, just making a point) and hit the road. A deuce or 5 ton is not your mini van. I remember when that wrecker lost its brakes, no parking brake, and the driver could not get it in to gear and it rolled down a hill and smashed in to a flower shop. I really thought that was the death nail in this hobby. Now look where we stand... WI is trying to stop all MV's.. and they have there foot in the door I don't care what they are telling "us". Yes I was a FNG at one time but I was already ASE certified and had been a tech for 10 years before I got a deuce. Were loosing this one guys like it or not. Every time one of our trucks gets smashed in to, we hit someone, roll it, whatever you know people are going to say " Why does he/she (got to say that now) even have that". People think of this hobby as the old guys in the little jeeps and when they see a huge deuce rolling down the road and members posting pics of there big guns and there trucks.. look stop acting like right wing freak shows and start acting like the old guys in the jeeps. Im sorry to toss this post off in a tangent but it has to be said.
OX I think your going to be one heck of a good MV owner, looking in the TM.. Well most people dont even try. And I am sorry I posted that, I really am. If you need help or if something look a little too hard PM me and I will do everything I can to help you. I have tore the deuce apart from the ground up and I know my way around one.

deuceman51

Same here, I'm a full time Technician for the SD National Guard and my door is always open to people needing help. I would rather a dumb question get asked before someone wrecks a truck or gets killed. But like Westfolk is trying to get at: please read your operators manual first before graduating up to "Expert Driver" and hitting the road with an MV.

TheOxman

Enough said...
Here is my thought....
I was going to post..."are we trying to reinvent the wheel here?"
But I bit my tongue and did not.
NOW
I commend for TheOxman for trying...doing something....even if it was wrong HE did try.:-D
TheOxman learned.....
That is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about.
Enough Said...
I'm definitely still embarrassed!

look ox.. not to get down on you, but if something looks too involved to do PMCS it probably is. Like a too good of a deal... it probably is. There not going to have remove the engine to change the oil. I'm glad you looked at the TM before hand but there not fool proof. You still have to use good judgment and use your head.
I just get worked when people with really no mechanical experience or schooling get a 13K+ pound truck with no brakes (not saying your does not, just making a point) and hit the road. A deuce or 5 ton is not your mini van. I remember when that wrecker lost its brakes, no parking brake, and the driver could not get it in to gear and it rolled down a hill and smashed in to a flower shop. I really thought that was the death nail in this hobby. Now look where we stand... WI is trying to stop all MV's.. and they have there foot in the door I don't care what they are telling "us". Yes I was a FNG at one time but I was already ASE certified and had been a tech for 10 years before I got a deuce. Were loosing this one guys like it or not. Every time one of our trucks gets smashed in to, we hit someone, roll it, whatever you know people are going to say " Why does he/she (got to say that now) even have that". People think of this hobby as the old guys in the little jeeps and when they see a huge deuce rolling down the road and members posting pics of there big guns and there trucks.. look stop acting like right wing freak shows and start acting like the old guys in the jeeps. Im sorry to toss this post off in a tangent but it has to be said.
OX I think your going to be one heck of a good MV owner, looking in the TM.. Well most people dont even try. And I am sorry I posted that, I really am. If you need help or if something look a little too hard PM me and I will do everything I can to help you. I have tore the deuce apart from the ground up and I know my way around one.
Hey, I'm open to any and all criticism, especially when I make a major mistake. That's why I'm on here asking for help and information from the experts though. I'm really enjoying this hobby and owning a deuce and learning as much as I can about it.

In any case, can anyone point me to the correct replacement fuel lines? :)

jasonjc

I thought that the TM said to remove the housing to change the filter. I just relooked at both TM 361-20 1991 and the newer 361-24 2006. They grouped filter and housing removal together. They start by removing the housing then the filter then reinstalling all step by step. It would be real easy to think that you had to do it this way if you had not done it before. I'm looking for my 209-20 to see how it list it there.

SO do not fell bad Oxman. The TM are still full of mistakes/typo's even after 50 years and I don't know how many rewirtes. Thats why they include a DA 2028-2 Recommended Changes To Equipment Technical Publications in the back of every TM (postage paid).