• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problems moving the front axle 1" forward?

ivbeenrokd

While I had my front end apart I flipped the perches so the steering would return to center better with the air assist. That worked well. However, the drag link is now too short, also comes too close to the shock, and the shocks don't have exactly the right angle anymore. My thought is to get new perches with the same angle that move the axle forward 1". This would correct the drag link being too short, give me more clearance between the drag link and shock, and correct the shock angle. Are there any negatives to this other than possibly having to lengthen my front driveshaft (again!)?

Thanks,
John

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389532613.787608.jpg

Last edited:

ivbeenrokd

I currently have around 7.5 degrees positive caster. I would assume a stock deuce would have around 1.5-2.5 degrees negative caster but I don't have another one hear to measure at the moment.

ivbeenrokd

Does anyone have a set of front springs sitting around they could check and tell me what the diameter the stud is that goes in the perch or does someone just know for sure without looking? I think I'm going to go ahead and get some perches made if no one thinks doing this is going to be a big issue. While making them I'm thinking I'll go ahead and slightly reduce the angle on the perch to get down to a final caster of around 5-6 degrees to help with the overall issues otherwise.

rlsnide

I don't know about moving the front end 1 inch forward with a perch due to the arch on the spring. I moved mine 1.5 inches forward with the lift brackets. I have mine lifted 6 inches with the front moved 1.5 inches forward and didn't have to lengthen the factory driveshaft at all. It still has 4-5 inches of splines in the tube and no problems yet. The only thing that hits is the steering arm hits the shock just enough to dent the outer tube but doesn't hit enough for it to rub the inner tube when it goes up and down. I used all the factory locations for the shocks. It wouldn't take that long to take the lift brackets off one by one and modify them to move it forward 1 inch.
20140121_170937.jpg20140121_171015 (1).jpg