• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problems starting when HOT

Boxdoc1960

Well..... I took the truck in to a local diesel mechanic. . He told me that the truck ran too good for it to be a IP problem. I had him installing a new shut off solenoid and I drove it home and it still wouldn't start hot. I tried hitting it with 24 volts just to make sure it wasn't hanging up but still a no go. :twisted:

So... I put my engineering mind to work and decided to check out the glow plug circuit. Sure enough, I wasn't getting voltage to the glow plugs; not even for a split second when she was hot.. I continued to monitor the voltage on the temp sensor and glow plugs and as soon as she cooled off just long enough for the glow plug relay to fire and put voltage on the plugs ( about a half a second with no "wait light coming on) she fired right up. :-D If I cool of the temp sensor for the circuit, she starts. So.... I removed the circuit card in hopes of an adjusting pot but no luck.:cry: I did notice some corrosion on the card from a windshield leak that had allowed water to drip on the card. I cleaned up the card and connections but it didn't help:cry:

I figure either the temp sensor is going bad or the card is. Does anybody know what the voltage should be at the circuit card temp sensor pin or better yet, what the resistance of the temp sensor should be at ambient temperature of say 70 deg F? If I could find a spec. sheet on the sensor I could figure out whether it's the card the sensor or just plain bad connections.:roll:

Boxdoc1960

Well sh@#.... A five cent resistor solved the problem. I cut the yellow wire
that leads to the temperature sensor and put a 680 ohm resister in series. It
turns out that at some point they swapped glow plug controller
modules. I got a feeling that the temperature sensor isn't the one that should be
being used with the current glow plug module they installed. In any case, I went
to the BMV for the vehicle inspection. It took about five minutes for them to
come out and do the inspection and it started right up:-D. I then went to the title
department, parked, stood in line for another five minutes and she started right
up:-D. I still need to check all the glow plugs to make sure they are all in good
condition. I got a feeling that there might be a couple that aren't working.