• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problems with hydraulic manifold

Lifeson

Hello everyone I live in Italy and I recently bought a 1994 LMTV M1078 to transform it into an RV (sorry for my "English" but I will help with a translator).
I'll explain the problem: as soon as I bought the truck it had an oil leak from the hydraulic manifold and so I disassembled the valves to see what it was and I realized that a valve was broken. I replaced it and tried to see if everything worked fine. I tried to raise the cabin but having no space I only partially raised it and then lowered it. I tried again but nothing, it doesn't work and the spare tire doesn't work even though you can clearly hear the pump working but it doesn't work with the manual pump either. There is a hesitation on the way up but immediately after it goes down. I ask you if this has happened to any of you and what can be the remedies.
Thanks

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Since you're building this into a camper, you won't be using the kneeling cylinders, and the cab air ride is easily replaced with a small manual valve (I placed mine inside the cab).
All that is left then is the cab tilt and tire loader. I replaced the troublesome manifold and pump with a electric one and love it.
Since my spare is going behind the box, it will have it's own pump.
You can see this and many others in my album on the Military Vehicle Camper Mods FB page if you like.
I photo document most of them.

Lifeson

Since you're building this into a camper, you won't be using the kneeling cylinders, and the cab air ride is easily replaced with a small manual valve (I placed mine inside the cab).
All that is left then is the cab tilt and tire loader. I replaced the troublesome manifold and pump with a electric one and love it.
Since my spare is going behind the box, it will have it's own pump.
You can see this and many others in my album on the Military Vehicle Camper Mods FB page if you like.
I photo document most of them.
Hi thanks for the advice I had already thought of, however, as I also want to eliminate the entire hydraulic system (the spare wheel I will mount it on a support behind the truck) replacing it with a manual pump as Chad did (https: // www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RzjXwzHqDE&t=305s) but I have problems finding the pump as the only seller I could find (OHIO HYDRAULIC EQUIPMENT LLC, 2220 Dividend Dr., Columbus, OH 43228 ) does not shipments to Italy for purchases of less than $ 1,000. From Italy everything is a little more difficult !!!

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Hi thanks for the advice I had already thought of, however, as I also want to eliminate the entire hydraulic system (the spare wheel I will mount it on a support behind the truck) replacing it with a manual pump as Chad did (https: // www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RzjXwzHqDE&t=305s) but I have problems finding the pump as the only seller I could find (OHIO HYDRAULIC EQUIPMENT LLC, 2220 Dividend Dr., Columbus, OH 43228 ) does not shipments to Italy for purchases of less than $ 1,000. From Italy everything is a little more difficult !!!
Search the big auction site for "3 Quart Double Acting Hydraulic Pump Dump Trailer Power Unit 12V Control Kit"

They ship worldwide. That is similar to what I have on my cab tilt now, and will have a 2nd one for the spare.

Lifeson

Search the big auction site for "3 Quart Double Acting Hydraulic Pump Dump Trailer Power Unit 12V Control Kit"

They ship worldwide. That is similar to what I have on my cab tilt now, and will have a 2nd one for the spare.
Can you send me a link?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Fumbling (Bumbling?) along through the TM's for the 1083 Series Trucks - I FINALLY came across the troubleshooting guide for the LMTV and MTV Cab Jack and Spare Tire Retainer.

TM 9-2320-366-20-3 is 1397 PDF Pages. Section 2-36 is where it starts and that is PDF Page 425.

Most interesting thing I learned is that there was an Orifice Filter inserted behind the knobs on the Hydraulic Manifold. Some trucks have it, some don't. Replacement Orifice Filter, P/N 117073098-000

Hydraulic Manifold Troubleshooting TM-9-2320-366-20-3.jpg

Additional info from Ohiobenz (Post #21): The orifice filter is stainless so a magnet won't retrieve it. Use a small pick and be gentle... Should be cleanable.

Last edited:

Lifeson

Thanks for your indication, but I think the problem is due to the presence of air in the hydraulic circuit. I know there is a procedure to be carried out for air purging but I find no discussion on this. I would be happy if someone who knows her wrote on this post ...

coachgeo

get a friend
get a wrench
crack line "out" of pump.
activate pump till oil comes out
add oil to reservoir.

wash rinse repeat on down the path at each place you can crack it?

sounds too logical..... i must be missing someting

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks