• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

problems with interstate batteries

mojeeper

I put 4 new NAPA 'largest size automotive' batteries in the M8109, no issues yet. They are 'maintenance free' kind with top posts. I do not get any static from NAPA about their branded items. I wonder who makes them.
exide builds napa battery's according to consumer reports

dittle

I just got 2 Exide 200 AGM batteries rated at 925 CCA (tested at over 1000 CCA) to put in my Deuce. Best part is they fit in the battery box, just have to put a piece of wood between them to keep them from moving around.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was talking to the owner of the local parts store and he said that interstate had changed hands. His opinion was the quality was not what it once was. I have been using Exide batteries with no problem as yet

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been replacing mine with all NAPA batteries and have NO issues with them. Had a NAPA go bad in the M-890 Dodge, and they handled it with no crap at all. Like they told me everybody has a bad day. Interstate seems to have a bad year or two though, so its NAPA/EXIDE for my stuff for the time being...

armytruck63

I had 6TL's in my CUCV and I was not happy with them. They leaked acid all over the place and made cleanup and painting of the fender and battery trays a big job. I think I got two years out of them. I put in group 31's from the local auto parts store and the Blazer starts better than ever.

I have "blem" car batteries in the deuce, and even these batteries crank better than the 6TL's.

6LT's have some interesting features, like extra rugged construction and the ability to be completely submerged, but for their size, they don't have as many cold cranking amps as you would think.

dittle

I would buy marine batterys. they have more cranking amps and are made very well.
They won't last as well as marine batteries are made to be discharged quite a bit down (upwards of 80% I've heard) and then recharged. A marine battery in a vehicle does not do this.

jasonjc

A marine starting bat or a deep cycle?? The 6tl don't have big CCA but they do have alot more reserve than a car bat.

dependable

If you want well made batteries that will take a lot shaking and vibration, Caterpillar equipment makes good ones. I think they sell 31s and 24s, as well as larger machine sized batteries. I got 9 years out of the original battery in my 226 loader.

mojeeper

They won't last as well as marine batteries are made to be discharged quite a bit down (upwards of 80% I've heard) and then recharged. A marine battery in a vehicle does not do this.
I have a marine battery in my 63 Galaxie for 4 years now has not let me down yet

storeman

we sell interstate marines in my tackle store and i use them. very few complaints. the 10kw i got last month had interstate workhorse batteries on it and it cranked weakly when i picked it up, even though it had been in a new castle, DE national guard storage yard for who knows how long. i pulled them off the set and put them one-by-one on a 12 volt shauer smart pulse charger to desulfate them. [thumbzup] both came to a green status before we left for florida. i'll see how effective it was when i get back home in april

Armada

If you want well made batteries that will take a lot shaking and vibration, Caterpillar equipment makes good ones. I think they sell 31s and 24s, as well as larger machine sized batteries. I got 9 years out of the original battery in my 226 loader.

Caterpillar batteries in an 817. Apparently the government uses them too.

Attachments

Rusty Loads

Digging up this thread to see if anyone has found reasonably priced 6TL size batteries. I bought 2 used from Interstate for my 24V radio shelter and they promptly destroyed a 300 dollar charger. The only thing besides these $99.00 ea. non-functional used batteries is the $475.00 (CDN) Odyssey battery (PC2250). I would pay 200 for a decent battery but 475 is a bit re-g*ddamdickulous. Any ideas out there? Want to stick to original size.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had good luck with Interstate batteries, I run 6TL batts in both Deuces my Unimog and the 5 ton its been over 6 years now and have yet to replace one, and I live in ND.
I have NO complaints
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks