• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problems with MEP-803a

wciguy

Have my first 803a and having weird problem. The injector pumps keep disconnecting from the rack. When I first got the unit, it had air in the injector system. Got is all bled out and started. Ran fine and pulled 13 KW for a bit then lowered load to 9 KW and let it run for about an hour. Shut it down and went home. Next day I gave it a try and it was missing on one or two cylinders. Acted like air in a couple of pumps. Tried bleeding them again. Talked to a friend who has a diesel injection shop and he said the sealing washers above and below the delivery valve are very sensitive and often to not re-seal when loosened. Focused on this for the next few days. Ordered new washers.....did not help. The problem pumps seem to change places. After a month off in CA, I got back to the set. This time I removes all the delivery valves and could see that the plungers on some of the pumps were not turning when the rack was moved. Removed and re-installed all the pumps (with several fowl words along the way) until all the pumps were engaged with the rack. reinstalled the delivery valves and lines, bled it all down and it started and ran like a top. Shut it down and restarted it several time with not problem. Loaded it for about half an hour then shut it down. Waited a couple of hours and then decided to try it before heading home. ONLY HITTING ON 3 NOW. Easy to tell which one is not hitting by touching the injector line.

While the pumps were out, I could feel the rack with my finger. I could move it 90 degrees to the direction of travel. Do not think this is correct and it would allow the disengagement from the pump control pins.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
pumps must be set so that they keep the rack from moving to far towards the radiator. also they must all be set in the same rotational position. if that makes sense to you great, otherwise it is hard to explain. that is why there is a special tool that locates the rack and requires taking the timing cover off. (waste of time if you understand the relation of parts)

wciguy

pumps must be set so that they keep the rack from moving to far towards the radiator. also they must all be set in the same rotational position. if that makes sense to you great, otherwise it is hard to explain. that is why there is a special tool that locates the rack and requires taking the timing cover off. (waste of time if you understand the relation of parts)
Tom, thanks for the input. I do understand what you are saying. I have had a tough time just getting the pump pins to properly engage in the rack. Always rotate them counterclockwise as per the instructions before clamping them in place, and never have all of them out at one time. Have not given up, yet. Have purchased two more 803s and no problem getting either of them working well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks