• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problems with rear axle alignment

darksheep85

Ok, first, before I get dog-piled, I know the rear axles float around and don't always line up. That being said, I can't get mine to re-align. I've checked the dog bone joints, and though they are a little dry and do have some cracks, they all spring back to where they should be after doing the "crowbar test". I am running 395's and know the clearances are tight, but I've always been able to at least pass a finger between them. The drivers side though, I would estimate, only has a 1/4 inch gap at best. I can see where the rear rear axle on the drivers side is sitting more forward on the spring wear pad than any other pad. It rides this way forwards, backwards, left turn, right turn. It may shift going around corners, but always come back to this position. Is there anything else I should be looking at? I may try some articulation exercises to see if that does anything. As a last resort I may wrap a chain around that side of the axle and around a tree and give a couple gentle tugs to see if something might pop back into place.
20160715_184148.jpg20160715_184223.jpg

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There is really only two things that will cause the issue, a bent axle or a bad torque rod., side to side is no big deal, front to back is a big deal. a torque rod insert may be trashed but still not allow it to be popped off the post.

darksheep85

I've never done any hardcore mudding or offroading and never done any extreme pulling. And the problem has seemed to rear it's head in the last couple months. It has just become more apparent with the new tires. The pictures are of the NEW tires being mounted a week ago. So I don't think it's a bent axle. Never done any heavy pulling except for one time my friend with a Dodge cummins said he he could pull my truck across the yard so I hooked up to him on my pintle. It wasn't really a competion.
Anyway, is there a difference in what function the upper and lower dog one joints perform. For example: uppers and lowers one is for side to side, one is for fore and aft?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If not the dog bones, have you checked the mounts the dog bones bolt to? Maybe a loose bolt or something?

It has to be one of the two, no other parts keep the axles in place.

darksheep85

May be a long shot, but have you measured the circumference of the tires. Are they all equal in size and pressure ?
I had some worn out Michelin XL'S on it before the new XZLs and I noticed the problem within the last few months because the left rear rear tire was wearing itself bald from scrubbing sideways. I might have to throw a tape measure on it to measure wheelbase from hub to hub, steer to drive, to make sure it's actually the rear rear that has the problem, and not an optical illusion.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Both the upper/lower torque rods control the axle front/back movement. this is a left side issue, the SCRUBBING axle is the place to look..
1 -- You have a broken torque rod.
or
2 -- You have a trashed torque rod insert, (my guess).
or
3 -- The torque rod insert retaining nut has some how backed off. (I doubt it)
or
4 -- Torque rod axle mount is loose/broke (I doubt it)
or
5 -- A bent axle

This issue is not rocket science, it IS old school technology, in another words simple.

Last edited:

darksheep85

I have checked all the metal components and nothing is cracked bent or broken. So by the process of elimination, it has to be a joint. Just need to figure out which one(s) are bad. I know I should just go ahead and do all 12 joints, but it's a bit cost prohibitive. If I can find the one that's bad, I'll do do both joints on that dog bone. I'll probably work my way through all of them, but as I can afford it.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just find a take off from a bobber project, when you find the afending torque rod end, just replace the whole rod, then rebuild the bad one, this will allow you to the get the truck back up faster and give you a good spare for the next torque rod that goes bad.

darksheep85

So a week ago, I took the truck to a local heavy truck shop and had a old army vet from the motor pool take a look at it. He busted it out the tape measure and measured everywhere. Found out that even though the tires are closer together on one side, the axle SHAFTS are parallel all the way across from backing plate to backing plate. The offending wheel on the left side is actually cocked to the right as if it is trying to turn to the right. BUT THE AXLES ARE PARALLEL!!! The hubs are leaking on this axle. Could this be extremely worn hub bearings? Or could the machined tube that the hub rides on be bent? If the tube is bent, can it be replaced or is it an integral, non-removable part of the axle?
I have the skills and the know how to do a job like this, what I lack, is the proper facilities and shop equipment. Plus, the added enjoyment of wrestling 395 tires off and on.
So, in summation, the axles are parallel and not misaligned. The left rear rear wheel seems to be trying to turn to the right. Torque rods all seem good.

Bad hub bearings?
Bad axle end tubes?
Just plain screwed?
Bobbing isn't an option.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'd check the bearings/bushings in the trunion, the tube that the leaf springs attach to. Then I'd look at the wheel bearings.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad axle end tubes?

I'd say bad axle housing....
Even if your's is a Deuce - not a M54, the issue (and solution) could be the same as described in this thread....

Sorry to tell you: the axle housing and spindles are one-piece, so the correct solution would be replacing the entire axle - if bent.

I have straightened a bent axle tube, once... It took the most of a good 50-ton hydraulic jack, plus some big torch-action, too. And I would never re-use that part for something else besides a farm trailer!

G.

Last edited:

rustystud

I'd say bad axle housing....
Even if your's is a Deuce - not a M54, the issue (and solution) could be the same as described in this thread....

Sorry to tell you: the axle housing and spindles are one-piece, so the correct solution would be replacing the entire axle - if bent.

I have straightened a bent axle tube, once... It took the most of a good 50-ton hydraulic jack, plus some big torch-action, too. And I would never re-use that part for something else besides a farm trailer!

G.
Totally agree with Gerhard !