• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problems with rear wheel seal.

reom34

Hello from Spain.

Sorry for my bad English. I hope you can understand me.

I have a Reo M34 1950 with gas engine and one of its rear wheels have a problem with the inside seal.
It is the third time I change the inside seal and the inside bearing.
All its look like right but after one or two hundred km the seal leak again inside the drum and the brakes in this wheel fails.

Any idea about it?

Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This can happen if the axle vent is plugged. Pressure builds up as the axle heats up, forcing the oil into the bearings and past the hub seal.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, we can understand your English just fine! I hope you can understand ours...

Are you putting the cork into place in the keyway slot? Is the cork piece big enough to fill the space? The cork piece should require some compression for you to squish it into the keyway and UNDER the outer bearing. Just to be clear, starting from the inside of a rear axle, the order of assembly should be:

1. Inner grease seal, press fitted into place on the spindle
  2. Inner bearing
  3. Hub and drum assembly
  4. Outer bearing
  5. Cork seal just under the outer bearing, in the keyway. I also add some RTV silicone, but honestly it's hard to have a clean surface for the RTV silicone to adhere to because you have a grease packed bearing above.
  6. Outer oil seal - I also add some more RTV around it's keyway tab. Make sure you orient it the correct way, it matters which face mates to the outer bearing!
  7. Inner spindle nut, and preload adjustment
  8. Tabbed lock washer
  9. Outer spindle nut, torqued to specification
  10. Bend at least one tab on the lock washer to ensure the outer nut doesn't turn. Best practice is to bend two tabs, one tab bent down on the outer nut, and another tab bent on the inner nut.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That (inside) seal #7521649 can- and will leak (gear oil) after the outer seal #7061238 has failed to hold the oil inside the axle tube.
Have you checked the condition of that oil seal? Beware of the poor quality aftermarket seals, out there... See this thread...

G.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You need to take pictures of your work and post them here. You can take the pictures in Spanish, we will be fine :)
If memory serves me, Reom34 has posted pics in the past(I think of his motor) and does excellent work. His truck is a fine example of craftsmanship.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks