• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Baby Hemmt - FOR LEONARD

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: More on baby HEMTT

There's some hard data Leonard re the bridge truck wheels. Might need to get that measuring tape out again.

DMgunn

RE: Baby Hemmt

Took some quick measurements today. These apply to the bridge truck wheels with the original 14.00-20s on them, and are accurate to within 1/4" or so. I realize that "WMS" may not be technically the right term, but I am sure you know what I am trying to say.

approximate backspacing - 14"
sidewall to WMS -dished side -16-1/4"
sidewall to WMS -other side -- 1-1/4"
lock ring to WMS - 3-1/2"
2-1/2" between duals at the sidewalls

Hopefully you can extrapolate (never used that one before.......) the clearance numbers that you need from these numbers against measurements of sidewall bulge on a 16.00-20.

Jones

RE: More on baby HEMTT

I posted a drwg of a HEMTT wheel in the tech bulletins section although I mis-labeled it 11X20 it's really 10X20. These are the wheels I'm running and you can see from the drwg what kind of offest they have.

Jones

Dueling 1600s... some things just ain't meant to be.

To Kenny, et. al.;
Well, after moving the center out on one of my 1000X20 rims, mounting up an extra 1600X20 Michelin and straining myself to the point where only dogs can hear my speaking voice... I'm here to tell you that dualed out 1600s look like two logs with tread on them stuffed under the back of the baby HEMTT. They're gonna require another engine just to run the back axle. Will take some pictures tomorrow when I have some light and the swelling has had a chance to go down.
'Course you always want to tackle a project like this by yourself; that way, no one's around to laugh and point... or call for an ambulance.
Wheel and tire... 519 pounds
Mechanical genius/baby HEMTT builder... 240 pounds
55 gallon drum of Horse Liniment... Priceless

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Dueling 1600s... some things just ain

Wheel and tire... 519 pounds
Mechanical genius/baby HEMTT builder... 240 pounds
55 gallon drum of Horse Liniment... Priceless
I see this in my future signature! LMAO. Leonard, after reading that all I could think about was Wyle E Coyote.

Jones

RE: Dueling 1600s... some things just ain

Bjorn, the tires are Michelin XZL 1600R20 and the sidewall marking says they're good for 14,540# at 110 psi. That should work out to ohh, 58,160# for the rear dualled out... that's 29.08 tons. Yep, I can go ahead and haul that load of garden mulch without fear of overloading it.
Kenny, well of course... I even have a complete set of tools in the signature ACME brand. Most are very handy and well made, 'though the rocket powered ball-peen hammer is a little dangerous to use.

DMgunn

Re: RE: Dueling 1600s... some things just ain

Jones said:
That should work out to ohh, 58,160# for the rear dualled out... that's 29.08 tons. Yep, I can go ahead and haul that load of garden mulch without fear of overloading it.
Hope I can quit giggling like an idiot by tomorrow............

Jones

Well, somebody has to perform these experiments,
but why do I feel like a test pilot in a kamakazi factory?
OK everyone, here's how it goes. 1600X20s DO NOT lend themselves to being set up as duals. They rapidly approach the maximum width of 110" and all that weight has to add up to some hellacious rolling friction. Second consideration is at 519# per tire and wheel, they're a bear to change and if your luck is like mine the flat will almost always be on the inside dual. Here are some pictures including the drum and hub on the baby HEMTT. (Budd wrench for scale).
I'm thinking that with that much wheel bearing surface I shouldn't have any problems with wear... not with the loads I plan on carrying. Remember the bed floor is shoulder level to me (I'm 6'3") so nothing very heavy is going to be lifted that high.
I also decided after flopping these wheels and tires around the last few days that if I ever get a flat... I'm selling the truck.

Attachments

Armada

why do I feel like a test pilot in a kamakazi factory?
LMAO!

Awesome Sir! With that setup, the question should be, 'what will it NOT haul!" ......I can't think of anything.
Bet it would even support the QE2!

Jones

Hey Gary, good to hear from you.
I fired the engine with the help of a spider web of fuel delivery and return lines, coolant hoses and enough jumper wires to re-string a biplane. Quite a growler with only 6' of straight pipe between the turbo and exhaust flapper. Methinks a muffler is in it's future.
Good idea about the traffic chopper for spotting stuff in the truck; too many climbers are being lost rappeling down the steep sides to the bed floor.

M1075

Glad to hear you are sticking with the singles. I was thinking it may look a little off with the xzl duals. I have seen dual XZLs on a Ford F-350 and that was the silliest ever!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks