• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Baby Hemmt - FOR LEONARD

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leonard,
I went through ALL your posts and I think I got all the "Project Baby Hemmt" threads listed here in one spot. That way as you continue to give us updates, we can just add the link here and everyone will be able to see not only the progress being made but the steps you took. If I missed any, let me know and I'll add them.

At the end of the project, when YOU are satisfied with it, you can then write us a synopsis on the pitfalls to avoid and if you were to do it again, exactly what you would change and how...

SO, for everyone, A TIP OF THE HAT TO OUR GREAT FABRICATOR, LEONARD, here are all the threads I found on "Project Baby Hemmt".

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2893
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3020
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3196
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3329
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4161
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4181
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5041
added 5/19/06
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5581

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK. And as we always say, WE WANT MORE PIX!!!

jim

PS - Leonard, the real reason I did this was because I sent this information to Stacey David, a TV Host. I was hoping to generate some interest in your project. So you never know, you just might hear from him because this is EXACTLY the kind of stuff that floats his boat. j

Jones

Thanks Jim. I'm always wondering about how much room this stuff takes up and thought I should have put everything in one file in the Photo Gallery. Appreciate your help.
I'm working on this in between real life duties and trying to make it go together without having to be assembled like a chinese puzzle. Some days though DO feel like I'm trying to make chicken salad out of chicken $hit.
Glad to answer any questions on the hows and whys of this project.
Bottom line is that I wanted something not everyone had, and wasn't bright enough to realize what I was getting myself into.

Adamlee

Baby HEMMT

What paint scheme for this rig when you complete it?

Are you going tan or what?

This project has been great to follow. Continued good luck on your progress!

Adam

Jones

baby HEMTT exhaust

Well, after some soul-searching I decided to lose the driver's side fuel tank in favor of extra clearance for my Rube Goldberg steering linkage and a tool box to sit on the driver's side ex-tank brackets.
Getting the fuel lines & transmission cooler lines plumbed up and will be ready to light this thing off; possibly by next week.
Exhaust is 4" and is anchored to a bracket that attachs to one of the transmission mounting ears; everything moves together thereby doing away with the need for a flex coupling somewhere in the system.
Paint will be the last to do after the mechanicals and a shake-down cruise. I'm thinking 3-color, green/brown/black. Am working up some overlays from patterns out if the camo manual while staying mindful of scale so the pattern looks right without ending up with very large color sections on the cab and smaller ones on the bed. Also, everything has to "wrap" correctly around corners.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seats! Leonard, what do you think of the HEMTT seats? Bruce Kubu brought them up a while back and I'm wondering how a HEMTT seat would work on the spring mount from my deuce. I see some HEMTT cabs comng up at NAS JAX and don't think the cabs bring all that much cash. What do you think?
KE

Jones

Kenny, the seats in ours are pretty comfortable. Early version is spring loaded, later are air bags. They look odd because the seat cushion seems to tilt forward because of the linkage under it. As soon as you sit down it levels out. If it helps figure out the cab room needed; the seat cushion top is about 20 1/2" from the floor. Seat over all is about 19 1/2" wide and about 22 1/2" front to rear.

Jones

Hello All.
baby HEMTT is still getting a wrench a day. Setting up walkways and spare tire carrier today. When the last of the bigger parts are in/on I'll shoot some more pics for all to enjoy. Side racks for the bed are up and on. Went with a more "cargo" look than the troop seats. Doing some final trimming on the hood and side panels for the engine dog house, then they get installed.
All this is in between real work at the shop and keeping up with the other day to day stuff. Haven't seen any point in posting pictures of such exciting events as before and after the trans fluid fill. Or taking the scaffolding down from cargo bed work. You gotta drive a stake into the ground to see any forward progress on some of this stuff.
More later.

Jones

New baby HEMTT pics

After a bit of a lull, I've got some more pics to share.
Details of cargo bed side racks giving a more "cargo bed" look.
Details of engine doghouse progress w/ view of radiator and intercooler in place.

Attachments

Jones

more baby HEMTT pics

Me brudder and I wrestled the spare tire carrier up onto the pass side walkway and I'm starting to lay out attachment points. Here's some pictures so far.
Pics of carrier up in place including one one showing my four-legged helper doing some of his best work on a chew toy.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: more baby HEMTT pics

Leonard, will this project have the slide out vise like the wreckers have?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I think a genset mounting or a HIAB crane should be in order for the space between the bed and the cab. Just my 2 cents.

rmgill

Some kind of crane or jib to get the tire up and down. Otherwise you're going to have a beastly time on the side of the road by yourself.

Jones

Don't know if I'll have the on-board vice or not; will depend on available space. Funny how cramped the space is even on something this big and of course, as soon as I get the vice on it I'll need to find a place for the bottles for the torch set and etc.
Gonna have a crane specifically for the spare though I haven't decided on hydraulic or "boat winch" type. At 270# for tire and wheel, I'd rather not end up under it... or having to roll it back up the hill it just roll/bounced down as soon as it got away from me.

rizzo

1600-20's weight 347#'s. Per Michelin Literature

Hmmt super single 10x20 wheels weigh @150#'s Per the scale at the LTL cross dock

I weighed a deuce wheel and got 88#'s

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks