• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Baby Hemmt - FOR LEONARD

Jones

RE: more baby HEMTT pics

Oh thanks, Rizzo... Now I'll NEVER be able to lift one.
Besides, mine are no doubt lighter due to 15% tread wear and the fact that I'm not using the run-flat insert.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hey Leonard, I'll give you a HIAB demo next week when I roll by your place. Those cranes come in many different sizes and I for one don't know how I'd live w/o one, not to mention the hydraulic outriggers. :)

Looking forward to checking out your project.

devilman96

I've said it before... that is one BAD ARSE build you have going on there!!! I love to see good ole American know how and fab work in progress... That little toy will be something to be very proud of when ya get it done.

Jones

Thanks to all for the kind words and interest. It's been an experience(?!?) but one I enjoy. Keeps me off the streets at night and away from being glued to the TV screen.
Bjorn; looking forward to seeing you when you motor through. Call when you get close so I can be sure to be available to meet up with you.

rizzo

Re: RE: more baby HEMTT pics

Jones said:
Oh thanks, Rizzo... Now I'll NEVER be able to lift one.
Besides, mine are no doubt lighter due to 15% tread wear and the fact that I'm not using the run-flat insert.
those weights don't have anything to do with runflats.

tire weight is from Michelin specs and I weighed the rims.

rizzo

Re: RE: more baby HEMTT pics

devilman96 said:
I've said it before... that is one BAD ARSE build you have going on there!!! I love to see good ole American know how and fab work in progress... That little toy will be something to be very proud of when ya get it done.
ditto, I love looking at the pics

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: more baby HEMTT pics

:ditto: Me too !

jh1990

Looking good Jones. I got a question for you Jones, if you don't mind, seeing how you're building a baby HEMTT...how hard do you think it would be to build a replica M983 HEMTT truck tractor? Just wondering, I would like to eventually (years down the road from now) build my own replica M983.
Thanks ahead of time.

Attachments

Jones

Hey Jason,
Always up for another toy.
How much, how far down the road, and by then... will I be able to park it at the rest home?

jh1990

Well Jones,
I'm planing this project after a couple years in the U.S. Army Ranger/Special Forces. So it's pretty fair down the road, I'm planing on a 6x6 instead of an 8x8 w/ either 5 ton or 10 ton truck axles, civy fith wheel and trailer hook ups, unless I can get a good deal on a couple mil flatbeds or drop decks. Hoping to put a Cummins ISX (civy) mated with the biggest Allison automatic trany I can find. But there's a couple probelms right now...1) I'm 15, 2) getting a big enought transfer case to handle the Allison and Cummins. Thanks for the inspiration and the help.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon

I would think a 5ton would make a great platform...

Sad really, infected with OD fever at such a young age. probably never be the same again. :mrgreen:

Jones

Jason, Sounds like a do-able project. The trick is to program out as much of the ideas as you can on paper and get your sources and contacts established. Suppliers, wrecking yards, others infected with OD rash, are a lot more helpful if they think you've done your homework and have actually got a game plan. Figure in what the vehicle will have as a curb weight and what you plan on doing with it; no need to use a t-case out of a ten tonner if a lighter, smaller one will do the job for you. Plan a vehicle that you'll enjoy when all the work is done. Weigh all thoughts and suggestions then adopt and adapt what conforms to your ideas of what you want for a finished vehicle; after all, you'll be the one operating and maintaining it. Remember; opinions are like noses, everybody has one. A lot of us old timers have tried a bunch of ideas and have found out the hard way, what works and what doesn't. And we're glad to share the knowledge; it's what makes this, or any hobby, fun. Don't get discouraged; I made 5 different sets of transfer-case mounts before I got a set that I liked.
Good luck and happy wrenching.
Note to BFR re: OD fever. I think there's hope for the lad. He could be shootin' craps on the street-corner and runnin' with loose women.
Agreed on a five tonner as a good starting off place.

jh1990

Re: RE: Re: RE: more baby HEMTT pics

BFR said:
I would think a 5ton would make a great platform...

Sad really, infected with OD fever at such a young age. probably never be the same again. :mrgreen:
I see no problem with that :D

Thanks for the suggestions and help. Started getting some ideas planned out in my computer, just the firsts though, more to come for sure. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Right now the only thing set in stone is the trany...Allison automatic, and the fact that no fabercation will take place until after the Rangers. Thanks again to ya'll.

Sorry Jones for stearing the thread off topic...hope to see some more pictures soon. Thanks

jh1990

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: more baby HEMTT pics

Hey guys,
came across some spec on the M983.
  • length-29.2ft (350.4in)
    width-8.5ft (102in)
    hidth-7.8ft (93.6)
    weight-31 tons (62,000lbs.)
    top speed (mil)-55 mph
    range (mil)-300 miles
Found a link to some guys photo album with a lot of nice detailed pictures of the M983
http://news.webshots.com/album/165270949YMNkty [thumbzup]

Started to come up with a list of the basic parts (frame, engine, trany, etc, etc, etc.) will post a copy hopefully over the weekend. Plus I'm working on a tools list as well that should go up at the same time. Hope all is well with Jones and his project.

Jones

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: more baby HEMTT pics

Coming along in between everything else they're throwing my direction. Walkways are in position and being marked for holddown bolts. Spare tire carrier is on the pass side walkway ready to have bolt holes drilled. After Rizzo pointed out that my spare weighs as much as some small foreign cars, my brother and I decided another support bracket would be a good idea. These little side trips cut down on the forward motion; but better now than when it's all together. Intercooler and radiator are in and mounted and I'm putting the finishing touches on top brackets so they don't flop to and fro when I start and stop the truck. As soon as the last of the bigger components are in/on I can start figuring out what I have to clear, route around, bracket to; then I can start on wiring & air and fuel plumbing. Will have more pictures soon.

Jones

Yeah I agree. HEMTTs use a break down jibboom crane with a mil spec "boat winch" and they probably do that because a number of other ideas didn't pan out in the field.
Simplicity is everything in my book; and less moving parts means less to go wrong, get broken, get left at home, etc. The design details are still pretty loose on a lot of the project. OR as my grandpa used to say; " indecision is the key to great flexibility".

jh1990

The jibboom crane idea sounds like it would be the easiest and simpliest. What size tire's are you using Jones? What would the suspenion modifications be in order to make it fit a tandem rear axle assbly (5 ton rears)? Thanks and good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks