• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Off-Grid M109A3 w/w log

wsucougarx

I am starting this thread to chronicle my particular off-grid/off-road/outback camper/bug-out vehicle/emergency comms project with my newly acquired M109A3 w/w. There have been a ton of M109A3 camper based threads in here so I figured I may as well throw mine in the bunch. My intention is to built a rig that maintains a military feel (I know what you're thinking...no creature comforts) and military appearance (KISS). Due to the limitations on space, I am concentrating more on what I feel is important in a truck with regard to emergencies and living. So no in-house shower or toilet facilities. This is all still in the planning phases so this thread may go on and on until I get things figured out.
I won't get in the specifics about how I got this truck as you can read it here:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/54658-jblm-m109a3-w-w-recovery-success.html

Here's what I have to serve as my platform:

198x AM General M109A3 w/w
Personal Coolant Heater
Split Brake Circuit
Hardtop (in the process)
1200 miles/102 hours

Here are some pics I have already posted in the thread above. These pics will serve as the before pics and shows the platform I am using for this build.

More details to follow.....

Table of Contents:

M105A2 Page 13

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Work done over the weekend. Got the hardtop/windshield assy pulled off my '86 M35A2C to put on the M109A3. Had to add some paint to her to match the truck. There must be an art to rattle canning. Whatever it is, I haven't found it yet....at least no one will see it up close:). I used 383 green and 383 brown Gillespie paint from Rapco. These two colors are way too glossy for my tastes but they'll work for now. Hoping the UV's will flatten them out down the road some. The flattest black I could find was Rust-oleum Chalkboard paint (thanks James Hicks). Also decided to repaint the interior as she came off the assembly line in 198x. The original interior paint is Forest Green 34079. The windshield assy had to be replaced as the window frame was pretty bad with rust. Rather than spending the money now for small parts, I decided to take parts off a truck I am currently not operating...sorry truck:-0. You can see the contrasting color between 383 CARC Green (windshield) and the forest green (dash). I am also in the process of adding the multi-fuel heater to the van portion of the truck. I got the heater platform and heater mounted today. Also got the exhaust pipe and intake shroud mounted to the outside of the box.
On the dash, you can see I have added an additional master switch w/indicator light. This will switch on my 50 gallon aux saddle tank. I'm going to keep it simple and just use it as a feeder for my main tank. I plan on running my heater and generator out of the aux tank as well. The plan is to put the spare tire in the rear b/w the pintle and axle. I also added a low air pressure warning light. The original LAP kit came with a bright red light lens. However during night ops, it proved way too bright so I bought the blackout type lens.
Also, got 2 bumper mounts mounted on the front bumper. Added two Infrared headlights to the radiator cross-arm. Will also be adding two IR lights to the rear. I am also going to replace the faded/cloudy plastic brake light assy with an aluminum set w/new aluminum lenses.
I also installed a manual windshield washer assy. Apparently these came standard on the M35A3/M109A4 trucks.

Projects completed:
Low Air Warning Light Kit
Front Bumper Steps (2)
Bridge Plate addition
Manual Windshield Washer Kit
Aux Fuel Tank Switch w/status light
IR lights to the front
Windshield assy swap
Soft top/Hardtop swap
Put Undercoating on interior doors drain channels
Put Undercoating on front fenders

Attachments

Last edited:

Mitymac

I plan pulling winch off one of mine and adding it to the shop truck.
I to want to make shower free type camper bug out rig to mine with gen set etc.
Are you sure you want fuel tank in back?? I think I would remount spare tire and use that spot.

wsucougarx

You're right Mitymac, I am going to mount the aux fuel tank where the spare tire is currently mounted on these trucks. I am going to relocate the spare tire to the rear. I thought about maybe adding a trailer to house all the spare parts and tires but didn't want to be dependant on a trailer.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Today was a somewhat productive day. Yesterday I finally got my Rapco order for the remaining cans of Forest Green Camo paint to complete the interior. It's been raining off and on all day so I was unable to get the hardtop put on the truck. I made an improvised soft top to keep things somewhat dry for working and painting. Instead I concentrated in getting the CARC green windshield assy painted the correct color. I added the MX-7777, radio mount, 3rd seat belt (bench seat), DS-2 mount, shifter boot, dataplates, decals, and a couple little things here and there. Since I added a third seat belt, I also added an optional VIC-1 control box. I decided to use stainless steel dataplate screws as the previous ones rusted and stained the aluminum dataplates. I think the interior turned out pretty good. Makes me want to tear into my M35A2C to match this truck:razz: One project at a time. I still need to add the rifle mounts, VIC-1 system, RT-246 remote box, radio cables, fire extinguisher, seat cushions, and I'm sure there are a few more little things at the bottom of the box I'm forgetting.
I need to order a set of gauge decals from Larsen so my wife will know what is what. I left room on the side of the radio mount to add a MT-1898 (R-442a/VRC) down the road.

Projects Completed:
Completed interior painting
Remounted Dataplates and decals (some decals on order)
Shifter boot mounted
3rd Seat Belt added
3rd Seat VIC-1 Control Boc
MX-7777 mounted
DS-2 Mounted
VRC-12 Radio mount mounted

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Upcoming projects:
Complete the van multifuel heater
Install air-o-matic
Antenna's
Rebuild all wheel cylinders/repack bearings/replace all seals
Coolant filter
CB radio
RT-246 or RT-524 haven't decided..I have both not sure which one for this truck (cab)
HAM radio setup for the rear w/60 ft military telescoping antenna base
Shipboard style bunks in the back
Freshwater holding tank
3kw Diesel Military Generator (not sure where to mount it)
Air Tank Drain Kit (3 drains)

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Thanks stampy. I'm pretty happy with the results of the Gillespie Forest Green. I was kind of dreading the results in that I was thinking it was going to be glossy like the 383 CARC substitute green. Luckily it was flatter. I went with this particular shade of green because my '86 and '88 M35A3C's came standard with this interior color from AM General. Both trucks were USAF trucks so no CARC was applied to either one for some reason

army_nurse

Thanks for this post keep the info comming. i plan on doing a 109 in this style as well. this is what makes this site great you have an example of what you are trying to do. The truck looks great. the lists are very helpful as well. Like i stated before keep the good stuff comming.

God Bless America

Mark

srodocker

so i needed forest green for the color i wanted :( oh well i need another deuce then! great work...i need to start working on my camper...oh wait i have tons of projects for my deuce already...

area52

One suggestion for the water tanks - use the space between the frame rails under the box. there is a at least a 12' x 2' x 2' space there that is pretty empty.

Would be a hassle to pull the box off I know but might be worth it.

Hammer

What about doing some power inverters to run 120v off the 24v batteries?
Also an equalizer for the batteries will let you draw 12v from a single battery from the system and keep it balanced.

That way you are covered for ALL voltages you would need for everyday kind of things. Especially when you have no other power available, and you don't want to run the generator all the time.

Also, run the multi fuel heater from the aux tank. Helps to keep from running the main tank out of fuel and not being able to go anywhere.

Otherwise, VERY NICE start Mike! Looking very good, and can't wait to see this turn into a nice comms shelter as well.

Hammer

Oh, I had thought about doing on my old 109 a pull out ramp like on rental trucks. It would take a bit of work, but it would be VERY nice to load up heavy stuff and not have to have a lift gate.

wsucougarx

Hi Ed, the plan is to run the multifuel heater/generator off the aux tank. I'm going to run a T off the fuel tank and run the lines. Great idea on the inverters. I plan on putting at least 3 marine batteries in the van to run various accessories like ham radios. I'm thinking about adding a 12v alternator to run the battery bank and run a circuit into the cab to run 12v accessories. Of course lots of idea right now. My main emphasis is to get this platform upto 100% first. I'm going to hit the mechanicals (bearings, brake wheel cylinders, seals, belts, coolant filtration) and the physicals (rust, paint, fixing any van leaks). I thought about a ramp but don't plan on having anything too heavy in the van.

Hammer

The heater has it's own lines from the fuel tank, so you can just use those from the aux tank.
Then use the normal lines from the aux tank to full and vent to the main tank.
If you are going to be running less then a constant 20 amp load on the 12v battery(s), then run a 12v battery specific to the items you want, and use the 24v to charge them.
Something like this will give you up to a 60 amp charge.
Solar Converters Inc.
But I would probably run the 20 amp setup, that lets the stock alt/gen give enough power to the truck with a little overage to charge the secondary batteries.
I like the idea of having a separate alt for 12v, but I don't like the single belt idea that is used to run independent alts. These things run better with two belts to each one.

Btw, can you send me a picture of the antenna you got from brad's place? Curious to see what he had.

AN/ARC186

If you take a look at the top of the box you've got plenty of real estate, you could get at least 4 solar panels up there. that would take care of all your power needs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks