• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

project options

925A1

I would appreciate feed back on the following. I would like to use an M109A4 to modify into a camper unit. I noted that the M109A4 has multi fuel engine with 5 speed, or 3116 Cat with auto transmission. Which power and drive line is best suited for road travel? Is the Cat engine good for highway speeds? I noted that the M109A4 trucks are equipped with 14.00 x 20 on some variations. The other platform would be the M934 van. I have an M925A1 that will be a gun truck, staying close to home. I hope that owners of the trucks mentioned can give me advise on what series truck will best meet travel use.

Regards,

Mark Musser.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm on a laptop, I can type a bit. M109A4 is the latest reincarnation. Has the 3116 and juice tranny as you point out. Tires are 14.5X20 not the 1400 20 which won't fit without serious mods. Top speed with that A4 is likley to be 51 or so against the governor. The M109A3 has the 5 spd and multifuel engine. I love the fact that the multifuel will run on just about anything except pi$$, vinegar and solvent as Wreckerman can attest. Sadly, the IRS doesn't feel the same way about our multifuel capabilities. They are capable of 55 sustained and bursts higher despite the fact that many will warn against that. Bottom line is you're going to have to do some reading and make your own informed decision.

Welder Sam

Im also in favor of the a3/a2 but with 395s. Ive found that for me, the best use of a 109 as a camper is to put the box on a trailer tho. Leaves the truck open for more than one use.

Just my taste