• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project time once again Swiss's CUCV

zout

This what day 11 brought working on it part time - this was after heading to Cummins Ga to find out what was wrong with Dinger65's truck (long story do not ask) - got back home just before 14:00 and headed down in the monsoon once again to the garage:
Photo2304.jpgPhoto2305.jpgPhoto2306.jpgPhoto2307.jpgPhoto2308.jpgPhoto2309.jpgPhoto2310.jpgPhoto2311.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW I will be entering in the concours d'elegance in August in Pebble Beach. Way to sweet. How am I going to drive this in the woods now :( I will have to buy a new trailer so I can make it a trailer queen. aua

http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/
8/18/13 Pebble Beach :)

Seriously as you say commander, if you are going to accomplish a task then it must be done right. It is nice to see that we have a few craftsmen left in the world. Amazing the amount of attention to detail and getting things right. I was wondering what you were going to do on the hood crease, looks great. Better yet that roof looks first class. :)

Guess I need to road trip south to truely get the "Real" View. Thanks for the update Commander, we salute you.

Last edited:

zout

Now that the temp is low today - we'll see if we can get that bumper and grille cleaned up and primered. Besides that we'll start on wet sanding the body with possibly 600 and 1000 grit. I use the 3M Trizack system which are cone shaped diamond cutting discs - as you use them on a section the tops of the cones will slowly deplete laying flatter and flatter as you wet sand. You'll be able to see the difference in the surface on the pictures when this is done.

Soon as I can get the bumper and grille done it will be flipped into the back of the box making way for the topper to come in to get started. Should be able to get up to this point during the weekend.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did some quick research this morning on the amount of preparation time versus painting time to get a good rule of thumb. The numbers vary but conservatively it looks like 80% of the time should be in preparation versus 20% in actual painting. Commander Z I believe is closer to 90/10 but that is a result of his super efficiency on painting. I have never seen a guy switch paint colors and guns at WARP speed like Zout.

The end result is always a function of the effort put into getting to the end result. The more effort up front the better the end result. Kind of follows all of life :)

zout

2167 views in the 12 days I have opened the thread
180 views per day
7.52 views per hour
.12 views per second

Posts - in the 12 days I have opened the thread
I have 31 of them = 2.58 posts per day

total 8.83 posts per day
.36 posts per hour
.006 posts per second

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2167 views in the 12 days I have opened the thread
180 views per day
7.52 views per hour
.12 views per second

Thank you Commander :) I am actually trying to get some work done in the office today :(

Interesting Statistic,

Looking back at the Preamble on day 85 we were tracking the following:

510 posts
85 days

157 Views per day
6.5 View per hour

So we are averaging 13% higher activity at the moment in the CUCV versus Preamble. Now statistically we have alot of variables given the total time of the thread, different thread types and audience. The bad thing is I do not have stats at the same time on number of views at day 12 then we could look at a real comparision.

zout

Swiss - them custom car paint jobs you have seen in car shows are usually no less than 250 hours of just sanding and prepping the final stages - seeing how you like MATH - figure some knucklehead at $45 per hour just sanding - but I bet that custom shop for overhead and profit is charging $65 and up. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Bumper and cowl valance sanded.
Pics of the final sanding stage I use and I have all the way to 6000 grit in this stuff. If you look at the hood and top part of the fender you can see the difference - what you see in primer will be highlighted 100% in paint in the end - catch it now or live with it forever.

After this sanding to the entire body - it will get another coat of the 2k epoxy primer reduced down and sanded again BEFORE FINAL PAINT HAPPENS. OR - Swiss can get me a roller and some Behr paint ???? or how about a dozen rattle cans after all this work has gone into it to get a finish on it? Just wait till I get my paws on the M909.
Photo2312.jpgPhoto2313.jpgPhoto2314.jpgPhoto2315.jpgPhoto2316.jpgPhoto2317.jpgPhoto2318.jpgPhoto2319.jpgPhoto2320.jpgPhoto2321.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I don't mean to be an alarmist, but I would SWEAR I heard Ron say he was gonna use that CUCV to chalk the wheels of his M819 at the GA Rally!

I don't think I would spend too much time on it til after October.aua

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Signed sealed delivered! Waiting at door. Escape from your chains and burden of work and hit the garage :)

zout

closed the shop at 11:30 - ran home and had an English Muffin with peanut butter and headed to the garage - just got up and posting at 3:37

Bumper and cowl primered - cowl back installed
Entire body 1000 and 1500 wet sanded
Photo2323.jpgPhoto2325.jpgPhoto2326.jpgPhoto2327.jpgPhoto2328.jpgPhoto2329.jpgPhoto2330.jpgPhoto2331.jpgPhoto2332.jpgPhoto2333.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks