• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper Display of the US Flag on my Deuce for Parades?

nofearnohope

When I ran in the Veteran's Day parade this past Sunday, I made sure the American flag was at the right front corner. Once that was done, we had another American flag on the left rear corner and several of the kids riding in back had some of the smaller, hand held flags. Having made sure that the American flag was prominent, I truly hope that I met the Flag Code.

Attachments

SasquatchSanta

The code says right front fender or chassis and that the flag is not to touch the vehicle. To my knowledge it diesn't address flying two flags, that you cannot do so, or when dong so that a the second flag cannot be placed on the opposite fender or chassis position.

I have 1" dia round steel masts welded to the top of each end of the front bumper. I cut the bases off of two trailer hitch balls and welded them to the top of each mast then welded a couple of welding ties on each mast for ties to secure the flags.

The smaller flags don't obstruct the fiew the way a full sized flag does.

Attachments

N1265

The code says right front fender or chassis and that the flag is not to touch the vehicle. To my knowledge it diesn't address flying two flags, that you cannot do so, or when dong so that a the second flag cannot be placed on the opposite fender or chassis position.

I have 1" dia round steel masts welded to the top of each end of the front bumper. I cut the bases off of two trailer hitch balls and welded them to the top of each mast then welded a couple of welding ties on each mast for ties to secure the flags.

The smaller flags don't obstruct the fiew the way a full sized flag does.

Therefore it would be ok to fly a 3x5 American flag off the back of your truck just as long as you have another American flag ( of any size ) on the front right fender ?

SasquatchSanta

I don't know.

I also don't know if the article previously referenced from Supply Line was a military regulation to apply to military vehicles or whether it was for all situations.

N1265

First of let me say that this post is not meant to " throw rocks " at anybody, So Please don't take it that way.....

I have noticed that this topic comes up a couple of times a year, Why is this ?

Is it because the code is so loosely written that some are confused as to the intent ?
( maybe even me )

Or is it that there are written interpretations of the code ( witch does change from time to time ) published by other organization ( other than congress )?

As we all know, you can take a sentence and by switching the position of a couple of words change the meaning of it .

It is my belief that with the changes that have been made to the code over the years coupled with " this groups or that groups interpretation " this may be a reason why there is some confusion ( even if only on my part )

Now I do not contend to be an expert on the flag code But I do believe this, If we are going to cite the flag code then we should :

1) use the current law in place.

2) use the most accurate obtainable version of the law. ( Witch in my opinion would be a copy of the ACTUAL law itself )

Now I want to be just as correct as the next guy, and my limited reaserch on this subject has led me to the link below. If there is a more up to date, unmolested version of the U.S. flag code I would appreciate it if someone would post it.

As for the Interpretation, I leave it for everyone to decide for them self ...

US CODE: Title 4,7. Position and manner of display

Lex_Ordo

You only need one United State Flag.
There is no reason to fly two. Remember the flag should be the Focal point and prominent from everything else. Two is just too many!
Right front fender, while any other flag flown should be on the left front fender.

Attachments

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to thank each and every one of you that display our country's flag!!!
Also, a thank you to all of those who are trying to do it right!!! Keep on asking, when we stop asking, we don't care anymore...

All United States citizens should be proud of our flag, but this day and age, there are many people that do not display the flag at all. In my neighborhood alone, of the hundred or so homes, there are only 10 flags that are displayed regularly. Kids aren't taught about the flag or the pledge of allegiance in school anymore and I am sure this weighs heavily on the mind of each and every one of us who was raised with this vital information about our country. If your kids are in the Scouting programs, BSA, GSA, Campfire, etc., they are taught about the flag and the respect it deserves.

US CODE: Title 4,7. Position and manner of display

Proud to be an American!!

SasquatchSanta

You only need one United State Flag.
There is no reason to fly two. Remember the flag should be the Focal point and prominent from everything else. Two is just too many!
Right front fender, while any other flag flown should be on the left front fender.
The code only addresses the flying of one flag and it does not prohibit multiples. You can't get more prominent than out front and high. Thank you for your opinion.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The code only addresses the flying of one flag and it does not prohibit multiples. You can't get more prominent than out front and high. Thank you for your opinion.

You raise a valid point concerning multiple flags.

IMHO: If flying only one flag, please abide by the code and appropriately respect the flag for whish so many have paid the ultimate price to defend.

Other provisions of The Code address "common sense" respect and etiquette and should be interpretted AND applied "to the best of your ability". When presented with advice or criticism concerning what you have done, it would be best to listen with an open mind, carefully evaluate the input, and then make the best decision that you can based upon your newly expanded knowledge. (In other words: sort out the good stuff from the crack-pot rants that you might hear.)

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

MARCO1031

Here is how I flew my flags om my M1031. I felt that the antenna mast was an ideal high point for the flag but I suppose if you are really looking at the letter of the law the flag should probably be relocated to the front right brush guard. Thanks for flying the colors everyone!

Attachments

Billy Bobbed

Im going to put two small amercian flags on my two CB antennas on the front bumper like sasquatchsanta.One thing,is it wrong for a nomilitary person to display an MIA or POW flag.I was going to put one on each antenna for display.I dont want to disrespect anyone displaying them.Does anyone display any kind of flag all year round.