• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper Fuel Filter Change Technique

cjkeeliii

Can anyone describe the proper sequence of steps to change the CUCV fuel filter? I recently changed mine and had to resort to starting fluid to start the engine. Any help is greatly appreciated. Many of you have answered my questions in the past and I want to say "thank you" to all who make this a great site.

kingsley

fuel filter change

Well proper I do not know....but I pulled it, filled the new on with fuel, quickly snapped it on, opened the prime valve, cracked until fuel spray out, closed the valve (while cranking with help), and started the truck.
A little sputter and long crank, but she fired up fine.

cjkeeliii

RE: fuel filter change

Thanks. I didn't fill the new filter with diesel because I didn't have any on hand. Does anyone know where I can buy the original TM's? I prefer those to CD's.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

You can open the TM on from this site in PDF form. The are one the left side of this page under Technical Manuals. The CUCV one tells you step-by-step how to change your fuel filter and do many other things. I ended up just printing out the repair manual, and then having it bound at Kinkos.

CCATLETT1984

one quick trick, Pull the pink wire from the injector pump on the top of the engine. then crank to get the air out of the filter, this way you dont suck air into the injector pump (much bigger pain to bleed it)

peyton

cjkeeliii said:
Can anyone describe the proper sequence of steps to change the CUCV fuel filter? I recently changed mine and had to resort to starting fluid to start the engine. Any help is greatly appreciated. Many of you have answered my questions in the past and I want to say "thank you" to all who make this a great site.
Don't know from personal experience but *many* people in diesel fora have said that using starting fluid is one of the best ways to majorly damage your engine ... unless you are *sure* your glowplugs cannot glow (i.e. are disconnected). YMMV;-)

Peyton

CCATLETT1984

RE: Re: Proper Fuel Filter Change Technique

this is correct, only use silicone spray as a starting aid if you must, but really unless you airlocked the Injector Pump you will not need to use a starting aid after changing the filter. just crank the engine for 10sec intervals, while waiting 1minute inbetween cranks for the starter to cool.