• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper Order to Disconnect/Connect Batteries M1009

rgguin

Is there a proper order to connect or disconnect the batteries on a M1009. I usually disconnect the positive first and connect the positive last, but with two batteries connected is this right?

papercu

M1009

And be SURE to remove all rings and/or jewelry before working around the batteries. They can weld to your hide quicker than you think. Wayne

ida34

RE: M1009

As said, remove the negative side of the front battery first. Then you can remover the positive of the same battery. I also remove the negative side of the back battery. When I was working on my glow plugs I found that just removing the front battery negative side will still leave voltage from the front battery in the 24 volt system if the negative side of the rear battery is not removed also. Don't ask what I arc welded. I can't remember. The important lesson is to remove the cables from both the negative sides but remove the cable form the front battery first.

rgguin

Thanks for the help. I had a loud pop and spark when hooking up the battery cables about 6 months ago after I installed my rebuilt passenger side alternator. I think I started connecting the front battery first and the pop came when I attached the positve lead. I could not understand how this could have came from the alternator, but I thought I saw sparks from around the vents. It all happened very quickly. everything worked good until this week. Looks like I am going to put another regualtor in the same alternator. Maybe the pop damaged the new one?

rgguin

Greg, I saw what caused the pop when I removed the alternator. The bare part of one of the wires had touched the case of the alternator. I taped it up and fixed that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks