• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper timing.

Jzallan

Hello all. Just fired up the GMC for the first time in forever. Runs excellent, but I want to run a timing light on it to get it dialed in properly. I’ve read there is an adapter to connect the light to #1 wire. How are others timing their trucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMPPhil

Hi

It is very simple take any modern timing light with the induction clip on sensor, clip the sensor to the #1 plug lead. Only problem of course is most timing lights are 12 volt, the lights don't care if the battery is in the truck you are timing (CCKW are 6 volt ) or sitting on the ground. The timing light just wants 12 volts.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Phil

Edit additional info- sorry didn't realize you are working with the shielded/water proof ignition. The additional length of wire as suggested should get it. If you find a solution how about a photo?

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an adapter but it is part of an expensive hard to find service kit. Make your own by finding a length of solid core ignition wire, you can temporarily jamb it in the shielded spark plug and distributer cap. This wire is used on antique lawn mower engines. The modern fiber core wire won’t work.

Jzallan

The shielded plug wires don’t allow the typical timing light clip to be used. I think that’s why they made an adapter.

Jzallan

There is an adapter but it is part of an expensive hard to find service kit. Make your own by finding a length of solid core ignition wire, you can temporarily jamb it in the shielded spark plug and distributer cap. This wire is used on antique lawn mower engines. The modern fiber core wire won’t work.
Just saw your post after my last. I’ll give your idea a try for sure. Thanks.

USMC 00-08

This if you don't have the adapter. Works well!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks