• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper way to set steering box preload

FreightTrain

Banned
Ok,what is the proper way(not just the by the books way) to set the preload screw on the back side of the steering box?Want to try setting it and see if it does away with some or hopefully all of my steering play and wander.When I turn the wheels I can see the pitman arm shaft move in and out some and fore and aft.

rdixiemiller

If you have in and out as well as fore and aft movement, the box needs rebuilding. The adjustment screw changes the depth of engagement between the worm and follower. To adjust the depth, jack up the front end to get the wheels off the ground and tighten the screw down until you have no lost motion when you rock the wheel back and forth. Then, turn it lock to lock to make sure you haven't gotten too tight at the extremes. If the box tightens up in a turning maneuver, back off the screw a tad until it is adjusted properly in the full lock position. It is normal for a box with some wear to be a little loose with the wheels straight ahead, and tight as you get farther into a turn movement. This is normal wear, and shouldn't be anything to concern you. Up and down movement is caused by worn bushings or bearings and must be corrected before adjusting the box.
This is standard procedure for all the old truck and car steering boxes that date to that time period.

FreightTrain

Banned
Gonna try and reset the preload.Try any cheap and easy fix I can before I go replacing the box.Hey,does your parts truck have a good steering box?You wanna sell it?

oldshep

Make sure you drag link is adjusted right. The screws on mine were very loose and this made for alot of steering wheel play.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gave about $35 for the bushings, seal and gasket to rebuild my steering box. I got the parts from memphis. I haven't done it yet. I was waiting for cooler weather. My pitman arm does the same thing. And my truck wanders a bit too.

rdixiemiller

Parts truck still has the steering box, but I am unsure of its condition. On some boxes, you can pull the pittman arm, and replace the bushing and seal in-frame. I did a few old trucks that way over the years. Haven't checked the deuce TM's yet on the steering box.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks