• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

proposal of "transportation for hire"

HVYMTL

Proposal for "transportation for hire."
I’m not suggesting replacing the "transportation needs" forum. I’ve used it the past, but I believe it has some shortcomings that need to be addressed.
For one thing, the forum has no listing of available current shippers and or feedback relating to their competency. Users should be able to choose a hauler based upon SS members feedback of the provided services.
You might search today for a shipper, and maybe you’ll be lucky that there was a lot of activity (posts) within the forum and thus your possible choices are good. Or just the opposite, you do a search and come up with someone that used to haul a year ago. Maybe they still do or not.
Generally when someone needs transportation, they need it now or in the very near future. A newbie to the SS group and the hobby of MV collection may be swayed away from bidding on surplus MVs’ if it’s their first, and he or she may not know anyone with a truck or equipment to help them out.
So to get back to my suggestion.This could be a subset of the currently (in process) member Emergency help/locator map/phone number database.

All we would need is a separate formatted page of links to currently available shippers. They in turn would detail their hauling capabilities whether commercial or private & within some geographical region. In a previous post, within this same forum, it was mentioned that the upcoming member locator/emergency help/phone database may use a clickable U.S. map to denote a members town/state/residence. The same software subroutine could be used for the shippers and their territory of coverage.

The shippers (commercial or private) capabilities listed as:

Towing only..to a specific maximum weight.
Flat bed conveyance only.
Low Boy with retrieval winch.
Detachable goose neck.
Vehicle with knuckle boom crane & its capacity.
Open or covered conveyance.

Editable Fields for shipees’ description of item.
Departure From:
Destination To:
Event #, Lot#
Overall dimensions: LxWxH
Weight
Cu. ft. req’d. if applicable.

EUC status: Filed/ in process /pending/approved/other

Is destination a business or residential address?
Do nearby roads have weight or height restrictions?

Removal dates & time: approximate/definite.

Special Loading requirements:
Overweight/wide load permits required.
Vehicles that cannot roll because of driveline issues or flat tires.
Winch required for loading.
Crane with slings and xxKpounds capacity.

Special unloading requirements at destination:
Defines any additional equipment required for unloading, such as a forklift, wheeled crane or extra man power.

Signed & faxed proxy letter from shipee to shipper, for release & pick up of same said material for delivery purposes.​

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe this to be a good idea. It might be incorporated in future site updates. [thumbzup] The member map is in the works, a prototype has been tested already.

Last edited:

HVYMTL

Thanks for the reply, and future consideration. just trying to simplify a stressful & fustrational search for some help when you're a newbie.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks