• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prospective m1008 owner.

Ignus

Hello, First I would like to thank you for the use of this great resource, I have spent many hours reading this and other GM diesel forums, which has mostly generated more questions.

I will describe my situation:
I am looking for a work truck for plant deliveries, hauling beehives, and general tomfoolery. Reliability and economy is of interest, both in vehicle and fuel cost. I understand the drive train is near indestructible in the m1008. Tomfoolery includes putting a plow on the front.

Concerns:
I have my concerns about the 6.2l diesel. Namely the cast crank which I hear can explode on a moments notice. The heads also concern me. How realistic are these concerns? Are these engines actually reliable?

There are a few m1008s in the neighborhood for sale and I was wondering the best way to tell the head condition.... Also, what are the signature things to look for while inspecting one of these classics?

I know these things have been discussed, and I am doing loads of searching for the info I need, I just need help compiling information faster. I currently have 12 tabs open so don't think I'm not working hard to learn everything I need to, I'm just crawling up from the bottom of the curve.

I have owned a 7.3l diesel in the past so I am familiar with diesel basics.

Sgt Hulka

Well, although a relative newbie CUCV owner, I can at least assuage your fears about the 6.2. Statistically, it's a very reliable package. And the 6.2 in CUCV is the "J" code version, designed by GM for use in heavy duty applications and not available in the civilian counterparts to the CUCV (at least in the M1009). So given all the other questions you have to address, I'd write that one off. Note, the 6.2 is hardly a high performance unit--it was designed for economy and reliability. You sure don't want to operate it out of its envelope or spend to much time near red-line. As for your other specs, the M1008 or its brother trucks sound ideal. Again. the gearing is low, so that means 50-55 on the freeway with stock tires and wheels. Have fun!

m60hog

My father just got a M1008. It is a solled piece of equipment. Things to note, the dana lockers AKA your four wheel drive probably should not be engaged on dry pavement, the resulty is draging one tire or the other in turns. Also dont be suprized if the dash is shot an needs replacement, they tend to crack an rot from sun exposher. A important step that cannot be emphasised enophe is to get the manuel for the truck, you can buy them on CD at militarymanuels.com for 29.99, that cover most any problem. The nice part is any problem you can't fix yourself most any local shop can an you can get most parts online . Oh for the dash go to LMC truck parts it is the only place that has them. good luck:grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks