• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Protecting cleaned and installed Bolts... advice

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok so we spend all this time restoring and cleaning each and every bolt, reinstalling them and in no time.. there is rust again... even after overpainting.. (when you can paint over them)

so... what is the best way to protect bolts that are reinstalled... since in some cases they were plated (maybe not in M37 but in general) and you cant just paint over them..

is there a way to protect them once installed? what to do before they are installed? simply painting them seems to not matter..

Chris

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My boss just told me about coating them with vaseline. It doesn't come off in rain and such, and only need to do every couple years. He has never had a rusty bolt on his trucks, just takes a couple hours every couple years. Haven't tried it yet, but I am going to.

Scarecrow1

There is a product that you can spray on rust and it turns it black and seal it and keeps it from rusting again . I have some of it left in the shop ( which sorry it is several miles away at this time ) I used it to restore a very rusty 101 trailer and kept it for several months before selling it not one of the places I used it on ever came back . It is in the auto department a Walmart in brush on and spray, I use it for priming parts that I know are going to be outside. Hope it helps you out .....

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There is a product that you can spray on rust and it turns it black and seal it and keeps it from rusting again . I have some of it left in the shop ( which sorry it is several miles away at this time ) I used it to restore a very rusty 101 trailer and kept it for several months before selling it not one of the places I used it on ever came back . It is in the auto department a Walmart in brush on and spray, I use it for priming parts that I know are going to be outside. Hope it helps you out .....
Ospho.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks