• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prototype 5 ton 6X6 M956

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guarantee I would have turned several 3208's into decent boat anchors when I hauled 52 loads of 80k rail and concrete ties and then 74k loads of WVO on 500 mile trips each week for 4 months. The NHC 250 might be gutless, but it will give you every ounce of that gutless power, 24/7 365. Remember why the trucks are slow and 'underpowered'... too many Military 'leadfoots'

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Actually from all description so far, these prototype trucks sound like a much better truck than what we actually ended up with. They might have actually been worth having if they had kept the Cat motor. And look what ended up in the LMTV series trucks, and now the new HET, a CAT engine. Why? Power, that's why. I'm sure the 3208 isn't anywhere near the gutless turd that the NHC 250 or the 8.3 is.
These engines as we use them were NOT designed for power due to the intended use of the truck, with 6.44 gearing, a low range 2 to 1 transfer case, a low first, torque converter (939), a lot weight AND 21 yr. old drivers = BROKE TRUCKS, 1000 hp has been pulled out of the 855 block, the 8.3 can get a easy 500 +, the 855 with 1000 hp is extreme but 650 hp was/is a everyday thing. The 855/250 was not intended to be a high hp engine but more of a lower rpm pulling motor hence no piston coolers. The 809 and the early 939 series was still intended to be used 75% off road, 25% on road so high hp was not needed, when that changed to 75% on road, 25% off road, the 8.3 was introduced for better road fuel mileage but deturned due to the above reasons.

Csm Davis

Actually from all description so far, these prototype trucks sound like a much better truck than what we actually ended up with. They might have actually been worth having if they had kept the Cat motor. And look what ended up in the LMTV series trucks, and now the new HET, a CAT engine. Why? Power, that's why. I'm sure the 3208 isn't anywhere near the gutless turd that the NHC 250 or the 8.3 is.
They would have been given the exact same power output 250 and would be just like the 855 or 8.3 you are blasting.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, note different power steering, different wheels than the previous pictures, not shown but does not have a three-lever light switch (not sure if Rick has figured out the B/O lights yet), different shifter (dash mounted and compact), different exhaust outlet bend. Lots of differences but I am just pointing out some of the more subtle ones. It does have a five ton frame. Glad Rick posted the pics and I am loving the discussion.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are many in the RV and boat forums that discuss this engine and many that get very good service from them. Because they do not have replaceable sleeves, it was given the throwaway engine moniker. The good old gasoline engine practice of boring out for oversized pistons works for these though.

Did you all note the t-case shifter without the electric button? No interlocks maybe? I need to get out with Rick to see how different it feels on and off-road. I'd also like to know what gearing it has. Specs seem non-existent on the inter-web.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks