• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proven 6.2/6.5 power recipes.....

12vctd

....ok after alot of thread jacking in Bubba's turbo post I decided to start a post for proven power recipes for a 6.2 diesel. People can add bench race do whatever is needed here. I would like a constructive post thou. Things I have done to previous motors.
Turbo install-best bang for the buck imo especially if you can and have to knowledge to use a 6.5 setup
Turning up your injection pump no more than 1/6 of a turn for a NA engine, 1/4 for a turbo or more if theres room
Timing your motor- by far the most important and best idea for any diesel, yes they are more forgiving than gas, but being timed correctly and getting the injection cycle to burn as close to the peak cycle is wonderful. I belive if alot of people had a properly timed and good serviceable 6.2 they would be alittle more comfortable about thier motor. NO its not a drag motor but it does its job well for its design.

Water and meth injection- ran water (no meth) on my civy 6.2 with j code intake and 6.5 inj pump that I turned up I did this this to decrease my EGT's as I had no funds for a turbo, but I did all that I could as far and improving airflow into the engine, basically should have just turned the fuel down more.

Every 6.2 diesel I have seen was 21.5:1 379CU in 3.98 bore by 3.80in stroke motor. The 6.5s I worked on and around while working at a GM dealer were 21.3:1 to 20.3:1 never worked on a marine motor thou I did have someone order 4 of them back when I worked there for two of his fishing charter boats, why he chose that motor I dunno. But they are 18.1. MAny guys run the 18.1 pistons with a turbo and more fuel.

Now I have read alot about people running the AMG/GEP 6.5's but I have not had the luck of working on one yet.
I did alot of testing and work on my injection pump on my old 6.2's and I have no problem providing more fuel than a 6.2 can handle. My problem is even with a custom crank and girdle I dont belive a 6.2 will live a long life turn up much more than the standard practices of slightyi turning up inj pump and adding a turbo. I love the 6.2 diesel but my love is for its simplicity, cheap parts and mpg as well as plentiful supply.

Now for my build it would be a 6.5 GEP block with .20 over pistions a 4911 inj pump, GEP heads, GM8 turbo but even this motor combo I feel is good for 300rwhp and about 530 to 550ft-lbs As i have seen from dyno numbers from others, this is why I repower with a motor that will put me ahead of the game and I keep the 6.2's for just a good daily driver that runs well and is cheap to drive.

Last edited:

Chief_919

Balanced injectors do a lot to make an engine run smoother, and as a result are easier on the crank. The closer to each other the pop pressure on the injectors are the better off you are.

My 94 C1500 has a 2006 AMG 6.5 in it, the transmission is out in it and I am debating if I want to sell the engine or transplant it to my M1028- but the 6.2 in the 1028 has fewer miles and is a strong runner.

12vctd

yes matched injectors are very important, I am still writing but I am kinda slow. I will warn people these motors are not cheap when it comes to huge increases in power. The most I have personally witnessed on a dyno was 302 hp from a 6.5. Also many people I feel want to increase power but do nothing to increase the balance and strength of the motor. I know people who have turbo'd thier 6.2 and wont even replace the 23 yo harmonic balancer. OR balance thier rotating assembly.

dstang97

I will type what I have done and what could be done. So far I have a rebuilt factory pump maxed out. and 1/8" advanced, banks kit and brand new short 6.5 injectors (turbo) I seldom get high EGT what my motor does lack is the injector pump output. It needs more fuel. A 4911 pump out of a 93 is a better choice. And if you have the heads off put 6.5 head gaskets on it. That is about all I know. My truck runs great and have videos to prove it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks