• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Providing Magna Sine Inverter with MEP power

NATCAD

Yes, what do you make of his accent, is he canadian or what? I also like the idea of knowing how your battery is cycling, and being able to track the cells over time, and of course having a couple of extra cells on the bench to put into use if there is an issue.

Last edited:

cbisson

Yep, saw those and the Jakiper as well. Seems like lots of good choices. I've been watching Prowse as well. I've been trying to find one of these
Magnum Energy MS4448PAE
But they seem to be on backorder everywhere. Dang. Debating on whether or not to get the batteries now for fear they'll become unavailable before the inverters are back in stock.

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question is if any of you have experience good or bad with Magnum Energy inverters and also if any of you have had experience driving an inverter / charger with a MEP 802a. It is my belief that the power from these is very clean. I know that the Volts and Hz are very stable but I don't have a scope so I can't tell if my particular 802 is delivering a nice clean wave.

Thanks for any thoughts or experience you may have,

-Craig
A MEP-802a makes really good, clean power and will have no issue driving an inverter/charger.

Grid Power:

Honda EU2000i

MEP-802a

For comparison, this is a 3600 rpm, brushed generator:

cbisson

A MEP-802a makes really good, clean power and will have no issue driving an inverter/charger.

Grid Power:

Honda EU2000i

MEP-802a

For comparison, this is a 3600 rpm, brushed generator:
Thank you for posting this. The 802 wave looks excellent..

cbisson

Buy whats in stock when you can.... especially if it involves circuit boards....
The MS4448PAE is evidently unobtanium these days. I've tried calling every number on the Sensata Technologies website and not one actual human yet. Still waiting.

I've also called a bunch of solar companies and every damn one of them tries to push you into a grid tied federally subsidized system that doesn't work if the power goes out unless you have batteries, that they of course don't really recommend. Crazy. Nice bottle of single malt scotch to anyone who can find me a Magnum Energy MS4448PAE with the BMK,ME-ARC, AGN, and PT100. :D

NATCAD

what is it that sold you on that magnum one? and... what solar charge controller are you looking at , or are you only looking for UPS /battery backup solution to grid power?

Last edited:

cbisson

what is it that sold you on that magnum one? and... what solar charge controller are you looking at , or are you only looking for UPS /battery backup solution to grid power?
Pretty set on the magnum for a few reasons. Split phase input and output, reliability reputation, simplicity of system setup and wiring with the MMP, and ME-ARC configuration with no reliance on bluetooth devices etc.

cbisson

Looks like you can order that inverter bundled from midnite with alot of cool stuff, you can also buy it a la cart from the website kurt mentioned
Yep, thanks NATCAD. I can find plenty of places that have had them for sale, but they are all on back order now, as I mentioned a couple posts ago.

cbisson

Prices have gone up on the MS4448PAE! Got mine last March for $1,686.
Yes Sir they have. Biden Bucks!!! They are on back order everywhere. Some distributors have said they have had orders in since November. Haven't yet been able to find out if the shortage is due to demand exceeding production capacity or component supply chain issues slowing/stopping production. Either way the price goes up.

I think you need a bigger one. You should sell me yours!!!;)

When you did the research before choosing Magnum what was your close 2nd? I'm researching the Outback Radian now.

cbisson

midnight has them in stock, but you need to buy their whole set up ...
Thank you NATCAD. Where do you see that they're in stock? I see a bunch of retailers/wholesalers in the where to buy section of their website but nothing that confirms that they have them in stock. Their whole set up seems a bit procey too.

NATCAD

I sent you a pm on that.

Would you consider to include a solar charge controller at this time too?

Going back to your original post - you are looking for a solution when your grid power is not available, that you can run through night without starting generator, is that correct?

cbisson

I sent you a pm on that.

Would you consider to include a solar charge controller at this time too?

Going back to your original post - you are looking for a solution when your grid power is not available, that you can run through night without starting generator, is that correct?
Correct

cbisson

Yep, thanks NATCAD. I can find plenty of places that have had them for sale, but they are all on back order now, as I mentioned a couple posts ago.
Found one!! Great price too. Got the 4448PAE, the interconnect panel, remote, BMK, and auto gen start module. Only things still on back order are the PT100 charge controller for solar and the back panel that the inverter and interconnect mount to. Very happy with the price. About 50 bucks over the price Kloppk mentioned. Also picked up qty 4 48v 100 Ah rack mount batteries. They had just received 9 of the inverters on the day I called. Got lucky.

My thanks to those of you that did some digging on my behalf. I'll be looking to you Kurt for one of your 2 wire autostart/wifi kits soon. Lot's of pre-staging and testing to do before the permanent config and installation. Next up will be 2 more batteries for a total of 600 Ah at 48v and some solar panels. Goal is to run the gen for 4-6 hours a day at 80% load charging the batteries for 24 hours of power instead of running it 12 hours a day at 15-20% load for 12 hours of power and 12 hours of darkness. We'll see how it goes but it looks good on paper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks