• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PS: M1101 Bouncing All Over and Cooking Thread

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate that the M1102 bouncy thread closed :( My 1101 bounces all over and I have ran at 10 lbs to 50lbs trying to get the problem solved. I have talked to other owners who said they never experienced the problem. I did like the potential out of round suggestion but would be curious how many owners do have this problem. The only thing that I found that solved the problem was moving the spare tire to the rear of the trailer when running empty.

Maybe we can stick to the question at hand this time.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the tires balanced?
No but if only a few people have this problem it would be worth the cost to go that route. I would guess that if they are out of round then that would show up quickly also when they try to balance them.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No but if only a few people have this problem it would be worth the cost to go that route. I would guess that if they are out of round then that would show up quickly also when they try to balance them.
Not always-sometimes an oval (or square, lol) tire will still balance ok.

If they have what's called a "road force" machine, they can actually measure how round the tire is.

A standard balancer, whether it's a 50 year old static balancer (can only correct for up and down imbalance) or a modern dynamic balancer (can correct for both up and down and left right "wobbles") can not sense out of roundness.

I can balance a rubiks cube - but it will still ride rough.

When you call the shop, ask if they have a road force machine.

A road force machine has a drum that is pressed against the spinning tire and measures the "roundness" of the tire and the machine can tell you if the tire is usable. There are a lot of tricks a road force machine can do, like measuring the runout on the tire and the rim individually and showing you where to index the tire on the rim to correct issues with rims and / or tires.

If my former employer was still in business, I'd tell you bring it down and we'd try it (we had a road force) but all that's gone now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxVAssnbp8

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not always-sometimes an oval (or square, lol) tire will still balance ok.

If they have what's called a "road force" machine, they can actually measure how round the tire is.

A standard balancer, whether it's a 50 year old static balancer (can only correct for up and down imbalance) or a modern dynamic balancer (can correct for both up and down and left right "wobbles") can not sense out of roundness.

I can balance a rubiks cube - but it will still ride rough.

When you call the shop, ask if they have a road force machine.

A road force machine has a drum that is pressed against the spinning tire and measures the "roundness" of the tire and the machine can tell you if the tire is usable. There are a lot of tricks a road force machine can do, like measuring the runout on the tire and the rim individually and showing you where to index the tire on the rim to correct issues with rims and / or tires.

If my former employer was still in business, I'd tell you bring it down and we'd try it (we had a road force) but all that's gone now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxVAssnbp8

There is a place in Buford that has one as they discussed it with me when I got the new BFG's on the M1009. So that is a good suggestion and puts some more fact in my analysis of balancing being the end all of end alls. Thanks for the offer on the Shop!

I have a spare to also add to the mix (Thanks Kenny) so maybe only one tire is bad given the fact that with weight it does seem to behave itself more. This has been my most un favorite trailer given the bounce so maybe with this problem solved the M1101 will get better reviews from me.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
All the mil trailers get bouncy without a load. It's the leaf suspension. The cargo trucks are the same way. It's made to be loaded.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know on my m101's changing the shock form the old school oil filled hydraulic shock with no rebound to a modern gas charged shock makes a difference. What kind of shock does the m1101 have?
They are an oil filled Hydraulic, one has a small leak and I have looked at this as a potential problem. On my 101's I found with or without a shock the trailer does not bounce. Love the 101's, hate the M1101 at the moment.

FloridaAKM

None of the M1102's (2009-2011) I have towed had any bouncing problems during the 200 to 300+ miles recoveries except on two short concrete bridges close to home. These are the old concrete bridges that make your truck bounce going over them @ legal speed & when the trailers are towed empty over the bridge they start to bounce badly, to the point where the trailer tires leave the pavement. The bridges are less than 200 feet long, so I just learned to slow down to 35 or 40 mph while crossing them & the bouncing is eliminated. There are three seperate trailers I have done this with, YMMV!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Here in CT the road suck there are bumps creases and potholes everywhere. When I visit FL the roads are straight and smooth. It all depends on where you are operating it.

12vman

I hate that the M1102 bouncy thread closed :( My 1101 bounces all over and I have ran at 10 lbs to 50lbs trying to get the problem solved. I have talked to other owners who said they never experienced the problem. I did like the potential out of round suggestion but would be curious how many owners do have this problem. The only thing that I found that solved the problem was moving the spare tire to the rear of the trailer when running empty.

Maybe we can stick to the question at hand this time.

Will update trailer status this weekend...its too **** cold right now to go outside

Last edited by a moderator:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Is this the trailer you had at the rally? If so, you spent the effort to make it look great and are wondering if it is worth it to balance the tires?

Good grief man pull them off and take them in.

;-)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
They are an oil filled Hydraulic, one has a small leak and I have looked at this as a potential problem. On my 101's I found with or without a shock the trailer does not bounce. Love the 101's, hate the M1101 at the moment.

Cool, since HATE wastes to much energy, lets scrap it, I need the tub and solves the bounce issue at the same time .

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this the trailer you had at the rally? If so, you spent the effort to make it look great and are wondering if it is worth it to balance the tires?

Good grief man pull them off and take them in.

;-)

Nope at the Rally was the M101, SWEEET TRAILER. M1101 was left at home :)

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it have the bias or the radials?

Radial tires are much more forgiving and usually make a wider contact patch with the ground.

Is the surge operating correctly so it is not activating unintentionally the brakes when hitting a bump or pothole?

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swiss, your problems are solved! Give Ron the tub, and I will haul the remnants away...free of charge!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks