• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PT Pump and Fuel System Gurus...

acme66

My 1983 M925 has been a ball of fun the last few days. Last night while giving an offroad tour, after running flawlessly all day I felt a power loss and hesitation. I turned the truck around and refunded the money. Down hill it was idling fine. I started for home a trip of about 9 miles. On the highway it would run for about 12 seconds and die for three. Those numbers got worse as the miles ticked by. Less than a mile from home it would run for about a second and die for about 10 seconds. I could just keep it around 20mph. By the time I got to the drive way it would no longer idle. After sitting for a bit it started up and I was able to pull it in.

My first thought was fuel filter as I had run the tanks low enough to cause it to surge 3 days ago. I pull the filter and there is a little stuff on it but not much, it looked clean and when I cut out a section of the media I could see light through it. I put in a new one and reprimed the system. Did a test drive and bombed the truck around a while under heavy acceleration for a few miles and nothing seemed wrong.

This morning I start up the hill for tours and about 1/2 mile from home I get powerloss again. Bring it back home, pull the filter and work my way through the fuel system hose by hose all the way up to the pt pump. I can't find a thing. I checked the the manual shutoff is all the way open and the solenoid seems to be working fine though I haven't tried screwing it open and driving it. I have pressurized the tank, filter and lines to 2-3psi, no leaks. I pulled the small filter screen off the pt pump, I think the TMs call it AFC Fuel Pump Filter. I can see some stuff sticking to the little magnet inside but otherwise the filter is spotless. I have pulled the main supply hose from the pump and after pressurizing the tanks blasted 5 gallons of fuel into a bucket through it with no interruptions of flow. Both vent lines flow air with the tank pressurized, not much grant you but it seems adequate.

I am at a loss. I have yet to put the system back together and test the truck but since I never found anything actually wrong I can't see how this will be any better. I searched the forums but all similar accounts of trucks with powerloss resolved themselves after air leaks or filter work.

I am worried I damaged it running it low but the forums are full of stories of guys who ran out of fuel and the pump was fine, mine never got beyond surging before I added fuel to it. Will a pt pump fail like this? Giving power sometimes then just cutting out. I was SO sure it was either something in the tank plugging the pickup or a bad filter. I can look into the tank and it looks very clean with just a bit of stuff here or there on the bottom. Granted I can only see the front half of the baffle. Right now I am DOA and turning away business, can anyone shed some light? I would hate to just start throwing parts at it without some evidence of failure.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Ken

UPDATE: I checked the return line check valve and it also was fine. Screwing in the solenoid override knob let me drive the truck normally for about 8 miles with no issues. Maybe I have an intermittent fault there. I am going to back the knob off and see if that induces failure again.

UPDATE 2: Screwed out the override knob and took the truck on a 16 mile ride with a big hill. No failure of the fuel system. The only change I can notice is that it now has more power. Doesn't accelerate any faster but up the hill I would have expected to pull it down into 4th didn't. Where before it would have been at 40mph it was holding 50. At this point I have no idea. I suppose that solenoid could have been sticking only partially open. From the moment I picked this truck up it has been a little dogish compared to the other two. I would like to say that solenoid has been sticking partialy closed since I picket it up from GL and screwing that knob in pushed it all the way open and now it works. At this point however I am so tired of beating my head against this wall I worry that I am grasping at straws and it is just waiting until I have a load of passengers to come and revisit me. If I ever find a definitive problem and solution I will update again.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks