• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PT pump throttle shaft

162tcat

Hi all,
I was going to adjust the shift rod on my M923 but ran into a minor issue, I think. The throttle shaft will spin 360 degrees. My other truck has idle and full throttle stops so I knew this was not right. I peeled back the thin plate behing the throttle lever and found the set screw on the block that contacts the stops must be loose.

So here are the questions.
1. Can I just remove the thin plate that is rivited on?
2. How to I set this to it's proper range of travel?
3. After I unhooked the cables, the throttle lever spun 180 degrees to the bottom. Will this hurt anything?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello
This is just some thoughts and questions. Are you sure the lever is not loose on the shaft? I have seen that a lot. It will not hurt to take off the tin plate a lot of old cummins did not have the cover there. In the picture the seal on the rear adjuster screw is still on; if it is intact it has not moved far. I am not sure of the adjustment procedure. In the picture the piece that bumps the stop screws looks like it has a set screw in the center if this has backed out or loosened up there is most likely a flat spot on the shaft it centers on. I do not remember though it has been a long time since i had one apart.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, you can't fix it if the shaft is spinning. Double check to make sure that the lever isn't loose on the shaft. If indeed the stop set screw has come out, the pump will need to come off and be set on a stand. There are holes on the throttle shaft that need to line up tihe ports in the pump housing and the travel is only 27 degrees. If the throttle shaft isn't in the correct position, you will have no power and could mess up injectors if the correct throttle leakage isn't there.