• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO Blew up

Rocco

I was working with the 5 ton dump truck today.
I went to dump it started to dump for a second
Then it stopped So I thought that it might be low on hydraulic and it was.
So I added some. then went back to dumping
And it went up a tiny bit and the Boom!
I looked under the truck and the PTO cracked and broke in a couple of spots
And the drive line was so warped real bad.
What happened??
I think the hydraulic cylinder got clogged or something .
The problem I think was between the pump and the cylinder.

Rocco

No i did not, U joint still there.
Its not military pump and drive line.
But the pto was military.
I will get pictures tomorrow

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Improper "lash" between the drive gears can be a problem that causes terrific stress on things. Also, leaving it in gear, while driving creates excessie wear/stress. Not sure you had those conditions. The Gear box will be contaminated now too. Its hard to diagionose with out pictures or hints of problems. See if there were any "spun bearings in the PTO case

Lee in Alaska

ems4ty

BTW - did you have the aluminum shear pin installed or something else? If anything downstream of the drive shaft was to bind then the shear pin would break to save the PTO. If you had the correct aluminum shear pin installed then it binded within the PTO/Transfer Case. Just thought that would help.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the pump dead-headed. Is there a pressure relief on the valve body or pump? On some systems if you partly engage the valve to raise or lower, if will block the pump. On a normal system, it's not a problem, the relief valve opens. If it doesn't open, instant locking of pump, usually breaks the pump casing.

So when you put another PTO on, be sure relief valve is working correctly, just in case.

Dennis

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks