• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO cover plate interchange?

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if the PTO cover plate from an M809 transmission is the same size and bolt pattern as the one on the Allison MT654 in the M939 trucks? Without looking, I think they are both 6-bolt, and I assume they would be some SAE standard size. But, you know what happens when you ASSume...

Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They each have different NSN #s.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I know. But, as with all other things military, that does not really mean that they won't interchange. They might have different thickness, rolled edges, etc...

The M809 cover NSN details call out all of the vital measurements/dimensions, while the M939 does not. At least, not that I could find.

It's pretty hard to get to the cover on the M939 to get accurate measurements, so I figured I would ask if anybody knows for sure if they will interchange.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I only posted what fact I was sure of.

As for standard SAE size, yes, they should be the same (as far I I know).

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, DH. I prefer facts much more than conjecture, so I do appreciate the effort.

I might just try to measure mine and then swag-compare it to the specs of the M809 cover.

I, too, suspect they have the same pattern/size.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the depth of the cover(outward) could vary.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm 99.9% sure they are the same. The only reason it's not 100% is that I've never actually tried to swap them out but I've probably seen at least 100 6-bolt PTO covers and I've never seen one that wouldn't interchange.

I've got a deuce trans sitting in the shop that has a cover that says "Mack" in big letters on it. I pulled the PTO and used a old Mack cover I had lying around the shop just to plug the hole.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks