• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO description for dump truck

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Floatingly saw something coming by in a TM that the PTO for the M51A2 W/W has a special section, since it has a forward - winch - and backward - dump pump - propeller shaft.

Can find back the stuff about disconnecting the dump pum side, but for the life of me, cannot find back details or drawings on the actual dual PTO itself. Did not find a separate section on PTO or much details on that at all. Am I blind or what, please give me a hint where to look.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really. Trying to find out the best way to temporarily and quickly disconnect the pump propeller shaft on the PTO side, so that the dump bed can be removed and replaced at will. Thought PTO's normally have flanges which you can quickly loosen, but here it looks it is different (and the truck is somewhere in the woods 600 miles away, so I can't quickly check).

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, OK. Not sure if yours has U-joint yokes directly mounted to both shaft ends. If so, converting the driveshaft to a flanged yoke on one end shouldn't be a problem. Also, the shaft will have a splined slip yoke that should be easy to disconnect...?

G.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, OK. Not sure if yours has U-joint yokes directly mounted to both shaft ends. If so, converting the driveshaft to a flanged yoke on one end shouldn't be a problem. Also, the shaft will have a splined slip yoke that should be easy to disconnect...?

G.
I think so on both counts, thanks for the pictures by the way.

Disconnecting the slip yoke might be easy, while driving out from underneath it. Would not want to try back up into them, so flangs is the way to go, or just take apart the U-joint yokes each time.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just spent a nice half hour under the truck, half sitting and laying, just looking. Quite relaxing :mrgreen:.

The hydraulic pump actually sticks out under the main chassis, so I have to lift the dump bed much higher then expected. Disconnecting the controls is no problem. Slipping the spined axle parts apart during lifting seems asking for problems, so I wil do it the long way.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I'd do is get a PTO coupler like is on farm equipment (to connect it to the tractor). You just push a button and slide the shaft on and off.

Either that or rig it up where the pump stays on the truck and you just add quick couplers to the hyd lines.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The pump is part of the hydro tank. LOTS of work to take the pump out. The tractor coupler would be the way to go.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I'd do is get a PTO coupler like is on farm equipment (to connect it to the tractor). You just push a button and slide the shaft on and off.

Either that or rig it up where the pump stays on the truck and you just add quick couplers to the hyd lines.
Any details on that PTO coupler you had in mind? I tried to google but did not find something usefull, more a lot fo forum and other talks too much to go through.

As gimpyrobb said, unhooking the pump (my initiall idea) seems a lot of work each time. Alternative might be an electric pump permanently fixed inside the subframe, but that will come later as last option.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems, the PTO propeller shaft yoke runs directly into the PTO case. At the other end, it has a splined slip yoke. The other end of that yoke seems to run directly into the hydraulic pump. The only strange thing is that on the pump-side of the yoke, there is a normal bolt, but I suppose there should be a lubricating point there.

Can you slip this slip-yoke out of each other without either taking the pump or PTO apart, taking the U-joint apart, or very very slowely and extremely carefully moving the whole subframe and dump bed an inch up and a few inches backwards?

This is no longer theoretically, tomorrow we are going to move the dump unit off, and this is the last point unclear yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks