• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO Disc Brake alternative

broadsword71

I've done this many times on swamp buggies in FL and of course all the folks in the Monster Truck circuit do this. Thinking about getting rid of the stock brake system and going with dual mounted disc brakes on the PTO shafts. Mount a cross drilled high temp rotor and racing caliper. Anyone ever do this?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you need to try searching before posting.

We've discussed this several times in great detail.

Is your truck stricly a swamp buggy?

supermechanic

DH, search feature is next to useless, 143 pages come up when "pinion brake" is searched.
Don't be so quick to pounce on someone with your 'use the search' directive.
Search needs to be fixed.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

dozer1

Just for the heck of it, I tried googling "m35a2 pinion brake" and lots of good hits came up from SS, and pirate, and others. It would be worth a try if you are wanting to dig into this. Remember, if you post to one of the older SS threads, it is then back to the front of the line.

I have to agree that the SS search engine isn't the greatest and could stand much improvement. I have seen worse tho.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pounce? Your perception is interesting. By now, you should know I simply ask very dry, basic, strait forward questions to eliminate error in perception or understanding. The same is true for most of my statements.

He is a new member, and I am trying to help him use the site in the most efficiently ways possible.

He should also consider adding an avatar and a sigline, to help others understand what truck he owns and how he uses it.(I image others will not look at his other posts to learn that he has a bobbed deuce and an off road park, before repling(aka,pounceing)...

Whats wrong with reading 143 pages of threads on the topic your interested in?

It is proper forum etiquette, to search first. When people post threads with proper titles(such as this thread's title), it help immensely. My opinion is, if you think search sucks, your search skills suck and you need to improve your search skills.

Obviously, myself and a few others post links from the archives, repeatedly, do you think we memorized these threads? No, we are persistent and use our imaginations to search until we find what we are looking for.

Last edited:

broadsword71

I was traveling from FL to tN an just killing time with my iPhone I did not try and search for it. I should have. But I meant to say pinion brake....I've been traveling for 15 hours on no sleep. Thanks for the links. To answer the question...no it's not a swamp buggy only, very road worthy and will continue to be. I've had great results with my past builds, was just curious if others had good results from it.

broadsword71

BTW the brakes on my bobbed deuce work great...I'd just like to minimize all the moving parts and most importantly drop the extra weight. I'm at 10,450 with 46" michilens and would like to get under 10k total weight. I'm in the mud a lot and the light weight goes a long way in thick mud!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, do you make this travel route often? You could become a popular member if so...

KsM715

Just to help you understand why they are a bad idea on the road, not just that they are illegal, they are unsafe. On a relatively slow moving swamp buggy or even a monster truck you will see that those are opperated on a closed course. Because of the gearing in the rear end the pinion will be spinning much faster than the wheels, thats why you see the brakes get red hot and spark and even catch fire on a monster truck. If you had to stand on the brakes in a deuce in an emergency you would have the same problem. The next problem would be if you had a broken axle (yes they do break, or might have a crack thet you are un aware of). With a broken axle and NO fully locked locker in the diff. you will have NO brakes at that axle. You'll stop the pinion and ring gear but the wheel with the broken axle will continue to roll and the wheel on the other side will roll as well by just spinning the spider gears in the diff.

(this was typed to help the next person that does a search on "pinion brake" and happens to open and read this thread.)

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My problem with the Search function is that it brings up so many fascinating different results, next thing you know I'm reading threads in a totally different direction, but they're so fascinating & informative I can't stop reading!!

Next thing you know I've forgotten what I started searching for in the first place... :mrgreen:

Just have to learn to be specific in your search terms, and change up the search terms if necessary. Plus try using Boolean operators to more specifically narrow your search.

broadsword71

Just to help you understand why they are a bad idea on the road, not just that they are illegal, they are unsafe. On a relatively slow moving swamp buggy or even a monster truck you will see that those are opperated on a closed course. Because of the gearing in the rear end the pinion will be spinning much faster than the wheels, thats why you see the brakes get red hot and spark and even catch fire on a monster truck. If you had to stand on the brakes in a deuce in an emergency you would have the same problem. The next problem would be if you had a broken axle (yes they do break, or might have a crack thet you are un aware of). With a broken axle and NO fully locked locker in the diff. you will have NO brakes at that axle. You'll stop the pinion and ring gear but the wheel with the broken axle will continue to roll and the wheel on the other side will roll as well by just spinning the spider gears in the diff.

(this was typed to help the next person that does a search on "pinion brake" and happens to open and read this thread.)

SPOT ON!!!! Great intel...not doin that!

KsM715

My problem with the Search function is that it brings up so many fascinating different results, next thing you know I'm reading threads in a totally different direction, but they're so fascinating & informative I can't stop reading!!

Next thing you know I've forgotten what I started searching for in the first place... :mrgreen:

Just have to learn to be specific in your search terms, and change up the search terms if necessary. Plus try using Boolean operators to more specifically narrow your search.

Yep, if your not on a deadline and just curious about something, this is the best way to learn something you did not know and it helps later on when someone does ask a question about something. You can remember seeing something about it and helping out with a link or 2

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to all you guys who answer with ideas on how to utilize search routines and post relative threads.

The work you demonstrate advise makes this site more valuable and I appreciate you for that.

rick

pevrs114

I can't ever get the search function to work correctly on the site. I always go to google, it always grabs lots of good SS threads. It's just easier, for me, to do it that way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks