• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO Identification

Gypsyman

I was looking over my spare parts and had forgotten about this one. I'm trying to identify the rear facing PTO on this 3053A. The tag is missing so hopefully someone recognizes it. M900 series possibly?

3053A with PTO $250 plus Shipping (1).jpg 3053A with PTO $250 plus Shipping (2).jpg IMG_7228.JPG IMG_7229.JPG IMG_7231.JPG

Gypsyman

Maybe you can help with another question. I have one of the WND-7-28 dual output PTO's here. Is getting rid of the rear accessory drive as simple as locating a plain rear cover and swapping it out? The parts manuals make it look that way.

rustystud

Maybe you can help with another question. I have one of the WND-7-28 dual output PTO's here. Is getting rid of the rear accessory drive as simple as locating a plain rear cover and swapping it out? The parts manuals make it look that way.
No. It's much more involved than that. Just leave it like NDT suggested.

rustystud

I posted my rebuild of several PTO units here, including the dual shaft one mentioned.
I tried to find my old rebuild post here but couldn't find it. This new site sucks about that. We used to have all our pictures and posts in a private list you could access. Now nothing. I'll try and see if I backed it up on my computer somewhere. At least some pictures if I'm lucky.

rustystud

I found some pictures, but nothing that will show the insides much. This first one shows the dual PTO before I rebuilt it. The second shows another single shaft PTO before I rebuilt it. The third picture shows the completed single shaft PTO. The fourth picture shows the single shaft PTO with the stub shaft for the dual PTO sticking out. If you look closely you will see a groove on the splined shaft for a "lock ring" . This retains the external shaft if used.

Attachments

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I posted my rebuild of several PTO units here, including the dual shaft one mentioned.
Nice pics Greg, but maybe you should read post #4 again... The question wasn't about rebuilding a PTO, but precisely if on a WND-7-28 you could simply swap the rear accessory drive for a bearing cap (cover), like the WN-7-28 uses. To that you replied:
No. It's much more involved than that.
So obviously we want to learn what all it takes to do that.

rustystud

Nice pics Greg, but maybe you should read post #4 again... The question wasn't about rebuilding a PTO, but precisely if on a WND-7-28 you could simply swap the rear accessory drive for a bearing cap (cover), like the WN-7-28 uses. To that you replied: So obviously we want to learn what all it takes to do that.
My bad. I misread the post. You can make a dual shaft into a single shaft and a single shaft into a dual shaft with the correct parts. You really need to totally disassemble the PTO though. Check all the bearings and bushings, and replace whats needed. The shop manual gives very good step by step instructions, but not so much on pictures. If I can ever find my post, I go step by step on the rebuild. I still haven't found it though. I didn't back it up on my personal computer either. Or if I did it got lost during one of my computer crashes. I've had several total crashes since 2017. Two due to malware and trying to clean out my computer. I've since backed everything up, but the last time was in 2020, so the rebuild would have been lost. Right now I don't have time to make up another step by step rebuild. I'm still trying to get my new shop finished. I can only work for about three hours before I'm too tired and have to stop for the day. Getting old sucks !

rustystud

My bad. I misread the post. You can make a dual shaft into a single shaft and a single shaft into a dual shaft with the correct parts. You really need to totally disassemble the PTO though. Check all the bearings and bushings, and replace whats needed. The shop manual gives very good step by step instructions, but not so much on pictures. If I can ever find my post, I go step by step on the rebuild. I still haven't found it though. I didn't back it up on my personal computer either. Or if I did it got lost during one of my computer crashes. I've had several total crashes since 2017. Two due to malware and trying to clean out my computer. I've since backed everything up, but the last time was in 2020, so the rebuild would have been lost. Right now I don't have time to make up another step by step rebuild. I'm still trying to get my new shop finished. I can only work for about three hours before I'm too tired and have to stop for the day. Getting old sucks !
Well, I finally had the time to dig out my old PTO and look at it.
I was wrong.
It is really very simple to change from a single shaft to a dual shaft PTO unit. I had remembered wrong when rebuilding it. There is no lock ring holding the shaft to the reverse shaft. It is held on by the bolts of the housing. You just swap the housing.
No need to disassemble anything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks