• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO options for 818?

ke5eua

So while cleaning out the cab and the transfer and transmission I noticed the pto plate on the transmission. I've heard of there being a pto off the transfer, is this true?

As far as pto options on the transmission, what options do I have if I were to add one and is it a live pto or stationary only?

Thanks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, there is an option for the transmission and for the t-case. I have a transmission one if your in need.

ke5eua

Yup, there is an option for the transmission and for the t-case. I have a transmission one if your in need.
What's the benefit of transfer over transmission.

I would like to run a generator on the pto on one and hydraulic pump on the other for winching.

Biggest thing is I would like to have a live pto if available.

ke5eua

Also, was the pt pump setup different for the wrecker?

I know there is a clutch engagement and I already have the plans to tackle that along with changing the transfer from manual engagement to push button. Parts will be ordered once I get finial measurements done.

A lot of changes being done to the 818, but since I want to use it more and more I want to make it easier to operate in austere situations.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have been told the hydro pump on the 816 spins all the time. The one on my M62 is selectable. Dunno much on the T-case ptos.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any pto behind the clutch, = NOT live PTO.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am by no means a math man but would seem a pto driven Generator would not be very efficient running off you big engine. If all you need is 30 amps then would not a small diesel or gas gen. be better. The transfer case will have different ranges you could slect from. Transfer case in netrual transmission in 3rd or 5th different speeds/power. Forgot alot but transmission one speed at correct rpm. Someone put a chelsi pto on the 809 transmission and there was not enough power/speed and Hyds were over powering the motor.

And yes the PT on the 816 has a aux governer to hold the correct rpm when useing the rear hyds.
Without doing your math and sifering it all out then I bet it would be hard to tell how may rpm the motor needs to turn to keep you gen. at 60 hrz. what if it was like 1900rpm on the Cummins to give you the correct hrz on the gen. Not a good thing.

Last edited:

ke5eua

The generator I'm looking at can run off a live pto and handles the hz and voltage through it's electronics.

When I say live pto I mean pto is active while vehicle is moving down the road. You see these on fire trucks that have the remote activated spray nozzle. We had live pto on the pls, not recommended but when you're doing a combat drop or pickup having the ability to use your boom while backing up and going forward can save you a couple minutes.

I understand that having a small generator on the big engine seems like a waste, especially if it's only 30 amps. I'm looking at a minimum of 100 amps with a welder option. Basically I'm looking at standby generator for the house if needed.

If I could get something that runs off the flywheel or somehow do what they do on industrial trucks with the pump coming off the crank in the front that would pretty awesome.

The 816 pt pump, is it a separate nsn or just additional parts slapped on to it. Going to be replacing my pt pump and might as well put what I will eventually need in the long run.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Running a generator while driving is going to be an issue. They are speed sensitive(must run at a stead speed).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of generator are you looking at?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have been told the hydro pump on the 816 spins all the time. The one on my M62 is selectable. Dunno much on the T-case ptos.
This is not true, the hyd. pump for the m816 is controlled by the power divider, the hyd. pump for the dump is controlled by the control lever that is at the left rear of the drivers seat.

ke5eua

What kind of generator are you looking at?
Only one I can think of is aura systems they have variable speed generators for vehicle but I believe they are belt drive.

That is the belt driven one. I remember seeing a pto version, trying to find it again.

Mainly I would want the ability to have hydraulics run constantly. The ability to run the accessories off the hydraulic system also allows for constant speed if needed.

So am I understanding the pto on the transmission doesn't run constantly? From the tm the transfer is placed in neutral and transmission in 4th gear. Then there is the power divider, which looking at the parts manual is a big box with drive shafts on it. I'm understanding it is for the winches?

I also don't know if it matter or not which side my pto port is on.

I'm so confused right now. This seems to happen when I think of mechanical things, lol

Ddmk18

If you want to have hydraulics anytime you need it I would go with a belt drive clutch pump. That way anytime the engine is running just flip a switch and have hydraulics

ke5eua

If you want to have hydraulics anytime you need it I would go with a belt drive clutch pump. That way anytime the engine is running just flip a switch and have hydraulics
I have thought about running accessories off the belt system but it seems finding brackets for the nhc 250 is somewhat fun.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think papabear put a wet kit on his M818. I don't remember if there is a thread about it but you can look.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks