• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO powered hydraulic pump for...everything?

DavidWymore

Seems like a “wet kit” might be the handiest thing to have on a deuce. A hydraulic winch seems better than pto, and you can do a dump bed, log splitter, hoist, mini backhoe, plow, etc. with it...thoughts?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As someone said in another thread: Anything can be fabricated, given time and money.

You would likely look at a rear facing PTO add on to the winch PTO in order to run a hydraulic pump. Not sure if simply removing the winch drive shaft gives enough space for a good mounting location in front of the regular winch PTO.

Then it's valving and plumbing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

DavidWymore

As someone said in another thread: Anything can be fabricated, given time and money.

You would likely look at a rear facing PTO add on to the winch PTO in order to run a hydraulic pump. Not sure if simply removing the winch drive shaft gives enough space for a good mounting location in front of the regular winch PTO.

Then it's valving and plumbing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I have a couple rear facing T-case PTOs. Also a couple from civvy converted water trucks (the '62 and '66) that are one speed rear facing shaft IIRC. Then a reservoir, maybe cooler, some quick couplers...

Come to think of it, I have a belt driven underhood hydraulic pump with electric clutch, too...hmm...

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like a “wet kit” might be the handiest thing to have on a deuce. A hydraulic winch seems better than pto, and you can do a dump bed, log splitter, hoist, mini backhoe, plow, etc. with it...thoughts?
Sounds like a good idea to me! Should be relatively easy to put together. Run the pump off a winch PTO, or add the rear facing accessory drive to it. Then need a tank, valve(s), hoses, and making the necessary brackets to mount everything.

The pump for my crane is ran off a rear accessory drive, and works well. It was chain driven off the transfer case PTO, but I didn't like how that was set up so I reworked it.

How it was before:
100_2561.jpg100_3569.jpg

How it is now:

20200430_202200.jpg20200502_163120.jpg20200502_163134.jpg

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was/am still thinking about this. My M51A2 I can switch between dump and 5th wheel and I want a hydraulic leg system to lift the dump bed so I can drive from underneath it.

As seen from the numbers, the M51 is a Dump truck, in my case W/W, so a front pts for the now froozen/#$%$#ed winch, and the rear PTO for the hydraulic pump.

Unfortunately, the hydraulic pump and reservoir are located on the sub-frame for the dump. My idea was to make a support frame so the reservoir and pump remain more or less in the same location (or lowered a bit) but are connected to the main frame.

Then just decouple the hoses to the hoist and reroute them to the side of the truck to a hydraulic switch block. One extension goes back to the hoist, the next one to the hydraulic legs (also two-way) and another for free for coupling to something else, maybe even to the hoist on a dump trailer.

davidb56

I was/am still thinking about this. My M51A2 I can switch between dump and 5th wheel and I want a hydraulic leg system to lift the dump bed so I can drive from underneath it.

As seen from the numbers, the M51 is a Dump truck, in my case W/W, so a front pts for the now froozen/#$%$#ed winch, and the rear PTO for the hydraulic pump.

Unfortunately, the hydraulic pump and reservoir are located on the sub-frame for the dump. My idea was to make a support frame so the reservoir and pump remain more or less in the same location (or lowered a bit) but are connected to the main frame.

Then just decouple the hoses to the hoist and reroute them to the side of the truck to a hydraulic switch block. One extension goes back to the hoist, the next one to the hydraulic legs (also two-way) and another for free for coupling to something else, maybe even to the hoist on a dump trailer.
when you order your control valves, make sure they are "power beyond" capable, then you can operate different things from the same power source without "switching anything. I operate my 4 way snow plow with one joy stick control, then beyond that I have a control valve for the dump bed.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
when you order your control valves, make sure they are "power beyond" capable, then you can operate different things from the same power source without "switching anything. I operate my 4 way snow plow with one joy stick control, then beyond that I have a control valve for the dump bed.

Do you have a schematic drawing and some pics of that?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks nice, any change of a schematic drawing? Do you have a free quick-connect ending somewhere as well, for external stuff or a trailer connection?

davidb56

I use quick connects on the snow plow and just use a male on one cylinder and a female on the other, that way when its disconnected, the fittings/hoses plug into each other keeping crap/dirt out. I dont have a schematic as I just built it as I went. Its pretty simple. from left to right, omitting the 4 lines in the side of the joy stick valve, pressure/supply line from the pump flows through, and suppling the joystick valve, then to the single acting dump valve. The line under the supply line to the dump valve is the return/tank for the joy stick valve. the dump bed valve has the supply in, then the return to tank. the line on the side goes to the dump ram and is single acting....pressure up, and gravity down. the 4 lines on the joy stick goes to 3 cylinders on the plow, one DA and 2 single acting. The line going out of the joy valve to the dump valve has a "power beyond" fitting in it, to provide pressure beyond the valve, instead of returning to the tank. This is the best explanation I can give. If you go to Surplus Center's website, there is tones of info, parts and each valve, pump, or cylinder, has a full spec and explanation, Plus questions and answers about it. they also answer questions within a few days, or you can call them..800-488-3407

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks