• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO Question

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am about to install a 10,000lb Garwood winch on the Deuce. I have installed the PTO and the shift lever mechanism. I feel I have the correct amount of "play" in the output shaft at the PTO. My question is: with the truck running, can I engage the PTO from the cab to make sure it is working properly? I have all the TMs and have read the posts on the site, but do not recall seeing anything on operating the PTO prior to installing the propeller shaft from the PTO to the winch.Thanks

If the winch is installed, make sure the lever on the winch it's self is in the "OUT" position according to the markings on the lever, or if the winch isn't on yet, cool. Start the engine and at idle, step on the clutch, engage the PTO and let off the clutch. the PTO and/or propellar shaft should be turning. When using the winch, you should be in the driver's seat at all times when the PTO is engaged. When needed, you unlock the drum, pull your cable and hook to whatever you're going to anchor to, then engage the lever on the winch. Then get in the driver's seat, and with the truck running, step on the clutch, then select the direction and ratio you want on the PTO shift lever. The gears are as follows: (From front to rear) High, Neutral, Low, Neutral, Reverse. When the PTO is "parked" or not in use, it should be in the neutral position between Low and Reverse with the lever gate in the down position. If any of my instructions are unclear, there's a video demonstrating how to use the winch on a deuce on youtube.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also you have to correctly shim the PTO , if shimmed incorrectly it can make the transmission to shift and cause damage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks