• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO question

jdmcm

Guys

today's strange question...Do you think it would be possible to run a brush cutter/mower deck (PTO driven) off of the front of the truck? I have been toying with the idea of buying a tractor to keep the acreage clear but, since I already have the trucks....Any idea what rpm the pto spins at? Anyone ever tried this? I saw an M135 on ebay recently and they had a forklift off the front run by the pto...Any thoughts?

cbvet

I've got a 65HP Case diesel tractor with a 7 foot Bush Hog. I can tell you it takes a lot of power to run the Hog when doing heavy cutting (2" oak trees) but grass & scrub don't faze it.
I suspect it would work, but could be really hard on the PTO.
Eric

jwaller

very hard on PTO with shock loads and such. I suggest a tow behind mower deck if you are thinking alone those lines. then you could also tow it with an ATV.

TheBuggyman

Rotary cutters are usually 540 or 1000 rpm input speeds. You figure a truck like that is 8' wide, so I would use a cutter at least that wide or wider if you are following it!
I do not think that the truck's PTO's are stout enough to handle the requirements of a rotary cutter, even if you use a slip clutch on the cutter.

lacoda56

Not a bad idea, but truck pto's will self destruct at the first sign of impact. We had a pto driven air compressor on a sevice truck. Mechanic was in a hurry on a service call and pulled the pto lever and dumped the clutch. The pto split off the mounting flange, literally fell on the ground. Had to send another truck to clean up the mess. You could probably build something heavy enough but it might be easier to get a tractor.