• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pto rpm?

kevinaj

I'd love to know this too! Anyone know if its a standard speed (540RPM)?

I'd like to use it to power a PTO generator and this information would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Kevin

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotta love that search function!:wink:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like search functions as much as the next guy, but you really have to play around with a number of keywords to find the "right" answer here....
You almost have to know what specific post you are looking for to be successful in finding the thread Gerhard pulled up. Using keywords "pto" and "rpm" doesn't produce it and "rpm" and "speed" are really not a correct combination of terms here (not "speed" anyway).

It's good when the originator of an applicable post can find it for you. :)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are right Bjorn. Gerhard had a better idea of how to find it. I really helps when you are trying to find something if you somewhat remember the thread you are looking for. If you posted in the said thread (or remember somebody that did) you can narrow it down that way in the advanced search options also.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too bad they don't still work when they get some age on those links!
I know, it's a shame... In all these years I have posted links to hundreds of threads and posts. Too many went dead and it will take me a good while to find the original threads again.

Here is the one of the link you quoted; PTO Speed...

G.

rustystud

I know, it's a shame... In all these years I have posted links to hundreds of threads and posts. Too many went dead and it will take me a good while to find the original threads again.

G.
You know Gerhard if you have some spare time it would be great to get "ALL" your transmission and transfer-case diagrams in one place ! In fact it should be put in the TM section ! I try and save and then print-out all your diagrams for my TM manuals but I know there are several I don't have.
Just saying especially to you moderators it would be nice to have this !

tobyS

G.
Thank you G. the Allison is different than either of the two mechanical transmissions and if I'm not mistaken, the output turns the same as the engine, CCW (from the back of the engine). It would seem that the Alison (A3), with the gear numbers I cited, would be another diagram that should be added to the deuce reference materials (your diagram). Note the 923 (Allison) is also included, since they use the same PTO and only have a different tranny drive gear.

I search the threads like a good little boy and consistently am wondering what picture the poster is referring to or what link is being referenced to. Thus we only get 1/3 or 1/2 of the story. What I have noted is that well explained words don't disappear.

You do excellent work of documenting and it is a real shame to lose it when we are searching and reading older posts.

Last edited:

tobyS

Here is a copy paste for anyone searching PTO speed that comes up with this thread (and can't see the reference drawings). Note it was for the deuce with Allison but also applies to the 939 series w/Allison. Re the PTO speed and my search:

It ranged from a reduction to an overdrive so I went and counted the teeth of the PTO. The tranny mesh gear is 25 tooth, which drives an intermediate shaft that has 14 teeth, driving the output shaft with 29 teeth. Thus there are 2 ratios, that of the transmission to drive gear and the intermediate shaft to the output shaft.

For every engine revolution, on the 939 series, 64 teeth will pass and on the M35A3, 55 teeth will pass, both contacting the 25 tooth engagement gear. So at 1000 engine rpm, the larger Allison will turn the intermediate shaft at a ratio of 64/25 or 2708 rpm. Then the intermediate gear reduces the speed on the output shaft at the ratio of 14/29 or 1307 rpm.

On the A3 with 55 teeth and 1000 engine rpm, the intermediate shaft will turn 55/25 or 2200 rpm and the output will turn 14/29 of that, or 1062 rpm PTO output.

Thus the Chelsea that I have, when running the engine at 1000 rpm on either vehicle, will turn the output of the PTO on the M939 series at 1307 rpm and 1062 rpm PTO output rpm on the M35A3. Thus both are overdrives, not reductions. Sizing the pump can be made from these rpm's

Note that the "tranny mesh gear" is the one on the PTO (25 teeth). The Deuce (A3) tranny gear is 55 teeth and the 939 series is 64 (if not clear from above).