• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO seal kit?

dcwilkie

Is there a PTO shaft seal kit out there? The front one started leaking gear oil just before the Veteran's Day parade. I checked the housing bolts - they were good and tight. Definitely leaking by the shaft.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a common, standard size seal: 2 1/16" O.D., 1 1/4" shaft diam., 7/16" thickness.
Other vendors have this as well. You probably will get the one pictured which I would avoid installing... not because it is made in Taiwan but mainly because it is only a single lip seal! Try to find one with the double lip (i.e. TIMKEN#410244; SKF #12530; TTO #E2152 or equiv.) so there is some protection against dirt and moisture which is what causes shaft corrosion and seal failure at the end!

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

BugEyeBear

Is that the seal for the Driveshaft or for the Control Shaft?

I think "dcwilkie" was referring to the control shaft seals.

ALSO, who makes/sells the double lip seals?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops.....! that was for the output shaft seal but.... yes, it could as well be the front shift shaft seal that's leaking. :roll:

That would be a .688" shaft x 1.25" O.D. x .25"H, also double lipped preferred!

Here some brands/part numbers for this size and type:

TIMKEN, NATIONAL #471538
CLARK #TB2-.688-1.250-.250L
CHICAGO RAWHIDE #6765
TCM 068122TC (Taiwan)
TT0 C181 (Taiwan)

Any parts store should be able to find/get it.

G.

Last edited:

dcwilkie

Gentlemen, that's the output shaft that's leaking.
One other thing- does anyone make a high-low shifter boot for inside the cab? How about one for the winch shifter (also in cab)? It's COLD in that thar cab these days... :mrgreen:

jwaller

Gentlemen, that's the output shaft that's leaking.
One other thing- does anyone make a high-low shifter boot for inside the cab? How about one for the winch shifter (also in cab)? It's COLD in that thar cab these days... :mrgreen:

john tennis makes the arctic boots for all shifters. I have all of them. very good additions

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished up putting a new clutch in my Deuce. While I was at it, and the tranny was on the bench, I thought that I would put a seal kit in the PTO, on general perincilals - they weren't leaking, but it wasn't going to get any easier then now.

Interesting Part: I have had this truck for about four years now. Early on, I had occasion to use the winch (just once). I distinctly remember, that I had trouble finding the gears, as per dash plack. I never did find 2nd-wind. I dismissed it as an adjustment issue (amid all the rest of the deferred maintenance), and successfully recoverd my tractor.

In the process of seal replacement, I removed the 6-bolt cover, and removed the shift rod and fork, marking the shift rod for direction, so that I could remove the old seals from the inside. After seal & boot replacement, I replaced the shift rod and fork, and noticed that the detent ball was all but inoperable, being jamed with gunk. After cleaning, the detent didn't work any better. Somebody had swapped ends with the shift rod, causing misalignment with the detent ball. This is why I had trouble finding the winch gears - you had to just feel for them.DSCN0006.jpg When I installed the Tranny and was re-attaching the PTO linkage, I had to shorten the PTO shift linkage, and re-align it, to fit the properly replaced shifter shaft. Anyway, knocking out the shifter shaft seals from the inside, is easy, and you don't damage the retainer ring for the boot. Be sure to clean that detent ball & spring, as it will tend to collect gunk, as the bottom of the PTO housing is a low spot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks