• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pto shift linkage

albion

Hello all in my never ending quest to get my duece mountain duty ready i now have a dual output pto. The front out put will probably go to a big pto winch. The rear will drive a hydraulic pump for the dump bed. Does anybody have any pics of the factory lincage for this pto? It would be nice to look at to give me a idea on how to fab the lincage. The original lincage seems to be hard to come by and expensive, thanks. Albion

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can probally scrounge one up out in the shed. Where in texas are you. If your close by i could get it to you easy.

albion

I can probally scrounge one up out in the shed. Where in texas are you. If your close by i could get it to you easy.
Ken, thanks for the reply. I am in fortworth, this pto has a front and rear facing output so does it have 2 levers i assume? Thanks. Albion

jwaller

yes it should have 2 levers. the lever for the front part is easily had by calling some of our green iron dealers. they may even have the harder to find rear lever setup.

albion

jwaller said:
yes it should have 2 levers. the lever for the front part is easily had by calling some of our green iron dealers. they may even have the harder to find rear lever setup.
So is it true that the lever and linkage for the front output is the same pn# as on a front only pto? Are the levers mounted in different locations?thanks, Albion

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So is it true that the lever and linkage for the front output is the same pn# as on a front only pto? Are the levers mounted in different locations?thanks, Albion
Yes and yes.
PTO rear output lever and shaft are located to left and behind the drivers seat. They are the same for M49 and M50 tanker and M342 dump truck. Linkage is different.
It is relatively simple to fabricate the linkage if you can't find it.

Attachments

albion

PTO rear output lever and shaft are located to left and behind the drivers seat. They are the same for M49 and M50 tanker and M342 dump truck. Linkage is different.
It is relatively simple to fabricate the linkage if you can't find it.
Thanks Gringeltaube, thats the stuff i'm lookin for. Any one got any pics of this linkage installed? Thanks Albion

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here some pics and a short description of what I did in my case, may be it helps to solve your problem?

Total travel of rear PTO shift shaft is only about 3/4", determined by the two grooves and poppet ball. Lever handle in cab makes about 1/4 turn between full up (engaged) and down to the floor (diseng.), so the bolt on the short lever under cab travels 6" on a 4.5" radius. That "excessive" stroke was reduced via a 4" long slot on the attached push bar and another 4:1 reduction lever with its pivot fixed to the front PTO lever bracket.
I also fabbed an additional safety bracket to avoid accidental shifting.

Gerhard

Attachments

albion

gringeltaube said:
Here some pics and a short description of what I did in my case, may be it helps to solve your problem?

Total travel of rear PTO shift shaft is only about 3/4", determined by the two grooves and poppet ball. Lever handle in cab makes about 1/4 turn between full up (engaged) and down to the floor (diseng.), so the bolt on the short lever under cab travels 6" on a 4.5" radius. That "excessive" stroke was reduced via a 4" long slot on the attached push bar and another 4:1 reduction lever with its pivot fixed to the front PTO lever bracket.
I also fabbed an additional safety bracket to avoid accidental shifting.

Gerhard
Thanks so much Gerhard, that is very helpful,and thank's to the rest of ya for yer input. Excellent website. Albion