• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pto

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you can , there are PTO covers on the transmission , pretty simple to install , as they say read the TM's give you the whole deal . Are you planning to add a winch ? if so , check the classified listings , you may be able to pick up the whole deal .

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you add the PTO, make certain that you use an appropriate number of gaskets under the PTO to result in the correct backlash. If you don't, you will do damage to the PTO and/or transmission! Read the TM. I believe my PTO required 6 gaskets when I switched transmissions. May have been 5. These are standard SAE PTO gaskets you can get from NAPA and elsewhere.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure to ask for six hole PTO gaskets. Got mine at Fleetpride - $.49 each, in whatever thickness I wanted (three different ones as I recall). Get a variety of each so you will be sure to get the correct backlash.

SoundGuy

If you add the PTO, make certain that you use an appropriate number of gaskets under the PTO to result in the correct backlash. If you don't, you will do damage to the PTO and/or transmission! Read the TM. I believe my PTO required 6 gaskets when I switched transmissions. May have been 5. These are standard SAE PTO gaskets you can get from NAPA and elsewhere.
OK. So I am also in the process of adding a PTO to my truck. I have read the TM for the Transmission TM9-2520-246-34-1.pdf and the one for the Transmission, Transfer case and PTO TM9-2520-246-34P.pdf.
I can't find anything saying to use more than one gasket. I am sure it is because I am blind. I agree that the gaskets are often used on PTO's to help shim the gears as I have heard of doing this before. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Oh, I am using my PTO to drive a bush hog gearbox that is going to drive a generator head via a chain. I am opting for a chain vs belt because it won't slip as easy, is easier to tension, and is easier to find the parts I need for it here.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Work package (Army speak for step by step instruction on doing something) may be in the truck manual, either the -20, or -35 series, not in the transmission manual.

SoundGuy

Thanks. I did find the TM. It doesn't say how many to add, it says to add more if the lashing is less than .008 - .012 Funny thing is that I actually remember reading that last year. I guess my brain dismissed it as I didn't have a PTO. Just FYI for anyone else interested it is in TM9-2320-361-34.pdf on about page 640. I love the TM's but sometimes it is hard to find what you know is in there.

Does anyone know what the length of the linkage should be from the the lever to the PTO? I am missing mine. I have one, but it is offset based on the TM, I don't think this is correct. I was planning on just making one. I know it needs to be adjustable, But I don't know the correct length. Could anybody put a tape measure on theirs if they get a chance? Thanks

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just so you know, it's almost impossible the set up the PTO as described in the TM with the trans in the truck (not much room between the access hole and the truck frame). I always just do it by feel but most of that comes from installing many PTOs on various vehicles over the years and know when enough is enough. Just remember that too loose is better than too tight and if you do it by feel you have to take into account the slack that's already built into the internal PTO gears.

I've made my own shift linkage before but don't recall the length. Just go ahead and mount your shifter, lock it down with the neutral safety plate, make sure the PTO is in neutral, and measure the distance between where the linkage mounts on the shifter and where it mounts on the PTO. Make sure you make the linkage adjustable so you can fine tune it if needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks