• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PU-406/M searching for info and parts.

Guus

It runs great there are a few minor glitches in the electrical system (thanks previous owner).

There is one sensor of the governor dead , and i think i am missing some links of the "throttle"
If i had the technical manual or a picture how it was connected , i would know for sure.

The "problem" i now have is the primary fuel filter.
The one that was mounted now was too small , it barely reached both sealing surfaces of the filter and the spring did not compress.
The space available in the housing is 4 inch and the recommended filter is 5.8 inch .
Im not very good at math but something inside me says it doesn't fit.
Or i need a bigger hammer..... aua

But i will find something that will fit better than the old one.

Guyfang

Staff member
Can you take a better picture of the fuel filter housing, and maybe the filter? And part number of the fuel filter housing if it has one and you can find it. The picture you posted makes me think that the housing is a standard one, for several gen sets.

Guus

It's been a while, but today I was able to work on the generator.

The spring in the diesel filter housing was full of crud and it could not compress , I have cleaned it and the filter fits now.

And I guess I have found the problem the previous owner had , why he cut the wiring loom.
In the relay box is a wire which has been hot and a diode is broken in two. IMG_20200524_162226.jpg

Are there wiring diagrams of generators from the same era with the same kind of technic ?
I have not found one piece of paper for this unit.
Doesn't the army have a archive with manuals of these old machines ?

Guyfang

Staff member
It's been a while, but today I was able to work on the generator.

The spring in the diesel filter housing was full of crud and it could not compress , I have cleaned it and the filter fits now.

And I guess I have found the problem the previous owner had , why he cut the wiring loom.
In the relay box is a wire which has been hot and a diode is broken in two. View attachment 803907

Are there wiring diagrams of generators from the same era with the same kind of technic ?
(Probably. But finding them is the problem.)
I have not found one piece of paper for this unit.
(I have spent several hours looking in the web. I have asked at places that sometimes have lots of old TM. No luck.)
Doesn't the army have a archive with manuals of these old machines ?
(Yes they do. But at some time they get rid of "Junk" that they no longer need OR support. Normally 20-25 years after the equipment is washed out, the files are purged)

Guyfang

Staff member
On the relay box, there should be a name of what it is, mabe a part number. ANY info written on the box, inside or out. Also if the circuit card has info in it, write it down and send it to me. I will look in a few other TM's I have. The is a slight chance that the box may have been used in another set.

Guus

Is there a museum for generators ?? maybe they have a manual...
I have been tough the internet and no luck, I have found the numbers for the manual but nothing more.

There is absolutely nothing on the relay box , on the relays there is some info of the relay .IMG_20200524_161257.jpg
On the voltage regulator which is located above the relays box is a nameplate : IMG_20200524_162819.jpg
It is of the same era....

Guyfang

Staff member
Is there a museum for generators ?? maybe they have a manual...
I have been tough the internet and no luck, I have found the numbers for the manual but nothing more.

As far as I know, no museum
There is absolutely nothing on the relay box , on the relays there is some info of the relay .View attachment 804723

On the voltage regulator which is located above the relays box is a nameplate : View attachment 804724
It is of the same era....

Guus

The book has 187 pages with on the bottom on all of them my name and vat number and the line : No reproduction permitted.

It is an book of November 1968 and they sell it as if it is top secret............

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks