• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulling 2 M101 trailers

ARYankee

I have seen pictures of humvees towing 2 M101s. I was curious how you would pull this off since it doesn't have a pintle hitch on the back. I found 2 for sale a good distance from me and thought of pulling both hooked together with my deuce.

SPCWarning

If you have a spare pintle hitch it looks like you could mount it on the area below the tailgate. If not, maybe a receiver hitch mounted underneath, with one of the receiver-type pintles (Reese makes different models, just go to reese dot com). Just bring the above mentioned parts with essential hardware, and a cordless drill and it wouldn't take long at all to get 'em hitched up. Don't forget you'll have some holes to fill after you remove the hitch once you get it home. The light wires would have to be extended also or use some of the magnetic tail lights. It's how I'd do it. On the other hand yo could drop the one with the mounting holes you drilled in it off at SPCWarning's house and pull the other one home.:grin: Hope this helps.
Jimmy

ARYankee

If you have a spare pintle hitch it looks like you could mount it on the area below the tailgate. If not, maybe a receiver hitch mounted underneath, with one of the receiver-type pintles (Reese makes different models, just go to reese dot com). Just bring the above mentioned parts with essential hardware, and a cordless drill and it wouldn't take long at all to get 'em hitched up. Don't forget you'll have some holes to fill after you remove the hitch once you get it home. The light wires would have to be extended also or use some of the magnetic tail lights. It's how I'd do it. On the other hand yo could drop the one with the mounting holes you drilled in it off at SPCWarning's house and pull the other one home.:grin: Hope this helps.
Jimmy

Yeah that is what I had in mind.... well everything except the dropping one off at your house rofl

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not put one in the back of the truck?

Is it legal to tow a double trailer in your state?

If so, do you need an endorsement on your license to do it?

How far do you need to tow them?

What will you do for lights?

You could rent a trailer that would carry both trailer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

12vman

I dont even think it is legal to pull two like that.....sounds dangerous

I know you can fit two A2s on a 16 ft flatbed.......

Last edited:

Chief_919

I have seen people do it, but every one has said that above 45mph they weave and fishtail and that emergency stopping is quite dangerous.

Stack em.

3dAngus

Best overall bet, borrow a 16' flatbed trailer from one of your friends and just trailer them home. No light problems, and with a low center of gravity (landing leg goed down) no sway issues. Remove any covers, if applicable.

I would never pull two trailers behind any vehicle, hitch to hitch, unless specifically designed to do that. Please be careful.

Chief_919

Best overall bet, borrow a 16' flatbed trailer from one of your friends and just trailer them home. No light problems, and with a low center of gravity (landing leg goed down) no sway issues. Remove any covers, if applicable.

I would never pull two trailers behind any vehicle, hitch to hitch, unless specifically designed to do that. Please be careful.
You can also just barely fit 2 on a uhaul car trailer.

ARYankee

Well I'm not too sure that I will buy both. I was just looking to see if it was possible along with any issues and how it was done since I've seen some pictures.

wilfreeman

It is possible - I have even seen kits (for an M416, I think) that added a jeep style a frame to beef up the pintle area. I see UPS and US Mail trucks doing it often onthe interstate. Not being a solid connection between the 2 trailers, there would be alot of movement between them - especially at any speed. I think the military must have only done this in off road, tactical situations - when necessary. Not to mention if you had to back it up during your trip home! I could almost bet you that would be impossible!

A few years back my brother decided he had a need to pull a 10' trailer with his two 4 wheelers on it behind his 26' tag along camper (he had his golf cart in the bed of the truck). He said he had seen a few other campers pulling like that over the years, so he figured he'd try it. He mounted a reese style receiver hitch under the camper bumper (to the frame). and hooked the trailer up to the camper (unloaded). Them he went for a test drive. He started out in his neighborhood (small, fairly tight roads) and moved on up to the larger town roads, then out on the 2 lane highways. Everything went well until he got to the highway and got up around 50 mph - he could feel the small trailer swaying behind the camper, even though he couldn't see it. He didn't even try backing it up as there was no use. I guess the small movements of the long camper, by the time they got to the small trailer caused lots of movement in the small trailer. I f he could feel it behind the heavy camper, it must have been swaying wildly!

He removed the hitch and put a bumper mount one on it for a bike carrier. Just my little (sort of) personal experience in the situation - very dangerous, unless doing it off road, mounted correctly and VERY slowly.

islandguydon

I agree with the Dogg, Put one in the back and and pull the better of the two. Then all the lights work and your styling. You still have to strip the cover and bows off once in the Deuce bed. I believe the height max is 13'6" so with the bows on you are close to the limit, take them off and you should be fine.

BTW, Doghead did me a solid this week. I needed a data plate for a 1966 M35 and a TM for the truck which shows the weight for our Local Sectary of State to get a title transfer. He took the data plate off his truck and mailed it to me. Now who on earth would do that for some one in need....? The Dogg did.[thumbzup]

My hats off to you for your help man.

135gmc

Even if its a tight fit, a U-Haul car trailer is a whole lot safer and cheaper than what could happen if you try to haul a 2-trailer lashup down any highway. One sneeze, and you could be off the road. As the old saying goes "How much money can you afford to save?"

gerrykan

I found 2 for sale a good distance from me and thought of pulling both hooked together with my deuce.
I purchased two M101's about 150 miles from me, and added a pintle to the back of one to pull the other.
The rear crossmember of a 101 is not tall enough for all four bolts of a pintle.
I took a piece of 1/4" thick 2" angle iron and bolted the bottom two holes of the pintle to it.
Clamp the pintle/angle iron combination to the M101 and drill the two upper holes of the pintle, and drill two holes through the angle upwards into the bottom of the 101 crossmember.
I used 1/2" bolts(if my memory is correct).

I made an extension cord for the lights.
Remember, you only need brake/turn signal, and possibly tail lights.

I pulled them 50-55 mph behind an M35A2, and couldn't tell they were back there.

I didn't think to take pictures until I unhooked the M35, so they are behind the '46 Ford yard-truck in the pictures.

Attachments