• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulling 250 Motor

acme66

Liner failure in truck #2. We think it will be faster to swap in a motor from truck #3 than it will be to switch all the tour stuff over from one to the other. Right now I have two people searching TMs on how to separate the transmission from the motor in the truck rather than pulling them as a pair but so far I haven't found it. Has anyone pulled them separately before, can it be done? Anyone have the relevant TM section bookmarked? I have a mound of PDF files here and it has been a slow search so far.

I think we are down to the point of separating the first motor with the trans held up in place.

Ken

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can have a liner done in like 6 hours on a non turbo 855. Swapping an engine will be a couple of days

Bandit02

I wonder if the trans unbolts through the hole once the starter is off like some vehicles. I wouldn't unbolt the trans and just yank it off I think the torque converter stays on the flex plate.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Pull the transmission with it. It is a lot easier. Typical cummins the torque converter nuts are accessed thru the starter hole. It should only take you about 5 hours to have the engine out. If that.

CARQUEST Liner kit 226-1747 this includes Piston/Liner/Rings. It is listed in the 5 ton parts spreadsheet. I am sure there is a carquest or their replacement in Thompson Falls. I never really paid attention when I went thru Plains.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Were not suppose to be links. Just highlighted part numbers

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

acme66

I pulled and swapped motors as the fastest and cheapest way to get the truck back in action and making money. We have long shipping times here in Montana. Took longer than expected by a day or two but I learned some valuable lessons. Like I learned how to make getting the PTO off and on fast and easy but we haven't got internet out here yet and explaining it is too slow from my phone.

Ken

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where? Detroit doesn't know about them. (that's what they say anyway)
Cummins would be the place to contact, I've seen the piston/liner kits advertized on the web, mil surplus, I think someone on SS had them also. Drop the oil pan and pull the head. The kit comes with a piston assembly, wrist pin and liner/seals.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having just done a 250 swap take the transmission out with the engine. You certainly can just remove the engine but mating it back up is a PITA, you will be using the transmission access panel a lot to reattach it. Ideally a liner/cylinder rebuild is idea but do what you have to go to get it back into service. When I priced for a cylinder rebuild kit I about dropped my jaw on the floor so I bought a running take-out engine for less than half the cost and swapped it. Took roughly 20 hours working on and off, this was mainly due to having to swap over all the pullies and accessories.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you drop JUST ONE BOLT while doing the torque converter to flywheel, you will not have a good day. Don't ask me how I know.

The job sounds like its done, but for those who read this later, pull the trans WITH the motor and do the swap out of the truck.

Csm Davis

If you drop JUST ONE BOLT while doing the torque converter to flywheel, you will not have a good day. Don't ask me how I know.

The job sounds like its done, but for those who read this later, pull the trans WITH the motor and do the swap out of the truck.
The gimpy one speaks the truth, you have to get the dropped bolt out and even with an inspection camera with a magnet on it it is almost impossible to get it out.

sent from my decrepit fingers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks