• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulling off steering wheel

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking about that, but with the steering wheel being of some kind of non-metal material (not really plastic), I was afraid to melt the thing. Might try that later. However, it might not be necessary; the line-up seems to be ok. If we ever get enough funding, I might take the whole steering gear out and replace it as one NOS unit, and find a suitable new steering wheel here later.

Rifleman

Robo, i am thinking that you should be able to use a large bearing splitter just like what is shown by Goldeneagle's photo on the first page of this thread. I think a OTC model 1123 bearing splitter along with the matching OTC model 927 10 ton push/pull puller. With this set up it should be no problem getting the wheel off without damaging it since over 80% of the underside of the wheel will be supported by the bearing splitter. The nice thing about these tools is they have many other uses then just pulling off your steering wheel. So once your done with this job you will be able to use them on say removing the pinon flange on your axle, or a transmission bearing, the list of uses is endless.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello do you still have your steering wheel puller? Would you consider selling it? Thanks
Might be worth starting now - soaking the threads with your favorite penetrating oil. A week of squirting it daily isn't too much. You might find a steering wheel puller that could be rented at your local parts house...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks