• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulling one wheel from the duals

m376x6

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Pulling one wheel from the duals

spentshell said:
Wish I had the anti-sieze, so far I have destroyed two breaker bars with a five foot cheater.Soaking, tapping, soaking and nothin. What tool can withstand the force to break them free. Last thing anyone needs is this problem on the side of the road.
With what would easilly be a couple of thousand Budd lug nuts both single and dual here at the shop over the years, the easiest I've found is a 1" impact wrench. Perhaps an excessive expense for the hobbiest who may take down a tire once a year or rotate the tires once in their lifetime, but they sure make it easier. I use anti seaze when I think there is a need, most times I just give the threads a squirt with Blaster. I had one truck shipped in from Georgia as I recall, I used heat, penetrant, a six foot breaker bar with 300 pounds on the end, and none of the lug nuts on the front end would budge. That impact didn't even hesitate. YES< there is a thing called excessive and unneccessary torque. Here is an idea if it is available, it might save you some time, have some folks admire your prize, and probably not have to pay a thing to get it done. Try going down to your local truck tire shop and have them break the nuts loose, throw on some penetrant, and either take a wrench with you, or ask them to set the correct torque for you.

Regards,
M376X6

Jones

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Pulling one wheel from the duals

Can't find a picture right now (somebody out there feel free to jump in here) but there's a tool you see occasionally on ebay that looks kinda like a geared socket extension. It uses a round bar handle and works with one operator and no air.
It's for the rear duals and works by sliding onto the square inner lug and then over the outer lug nut. Using the inner as an anchor it rotates around it, turning the outer as it goes. I haven't found a better tool for out-on-the-road tire changes.
If you run across one, pick it up for your tool box-- it's worth the investment.

chicklin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Pulling one wheel from the d

Jones said:
Can't find a picture right now (somebody out there feel free to jump in here) but there's a tool you see occasionally on ebay that looks kinda like a geared socket extension. It uses a round bar handle and works with one operator and no air.
It's for the rear duals and works by sliding onto the square inner lug and then over the outer lug nut. Using the inner as an anchor it rotates around it, turning the outer as it goes. I haven't found a better tool for out-on-the-road tire changes.
If you run across one, pick it up for your tool box-- it's worth the investment.
Yep, that's what was in my toolbox when I got the truck. With that and the steel rod, it was no problem.