• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchased a 6.5td from 3500 truck for my M998 & have questions

DDS

I'm purchasing a 6.5 that came off an '01 Chevy truck. I'm planning on installing it in my '93 M998. Besides a few things I'll be swapping over from my old engine, I want to get a new oil pan. Which one do I need?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search for these part numbers.
2815014302599 and 12551755
It should be the same as a civy oil pan IIRC

DDS

Thanks, I just ordered one. I wasn't sure if the 1pc vs 2pc rear main seal mattered. Since the new pan is deeper, do I need to replace the civy oil pump too?

DDS

Another question I have is can I use a civy 6.5td block & heads but N/A it? I also want to replace the injectors. If I'm going to run it in a N/A application, which ones should I go with? The engine has 15K & is in great shape with no cracks anywhere.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another question I have is can I use a civy 6.5td block & heads but N/A it? I also want to replace the injectors. If I'm going to run it in a N/A application, which ones should I go with? The engine has 15K & is in great shape with no cracks anywhere.
Yes you have to run it NA, (or custom turbo) only the Van version (also center mount turbo) has the angled intake to head bolts, you cannot run a civy pickup motor with the center mount HMMWV turbo.
It might be possible to run the civy turbo, I believe one of the aftermarket turbo setups is based on the civy side mount turbo.
Doesn't that civi motor have a DB4 electronic IP? if so you will ether have to use the ECM from the truck or change to a DB2 mechanical pump, in that case just use the NA pump and injectors listed in the parts TM for the "detuned" NA motor

Last edited:

DDS

Yes you have to run it NA, (or custom turbo) only the Van version (also center mount turbo) has the angled intake to head bolts, you cannot run a civy pickup motor with the center mount HMMWV turbo.
Thanks, so I should be good. What injectors should I go with? Does the compression difference between N/A & TD matter in my application? Sorry for so many questions, but I appreciate everyones knowledge.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I just ordered one. I wasn't sure if the 1pc vs 2pc rear main seal mattered. Since the new pan is deeper, do I need to replace the civy oil pump too?
I did not know they were different, maybe someone else can advise.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, so I should be good. What injectors should I go with? Does the compression difference between N/A & TD matter in my application? Sorry for so many questions, but I appreciate everyones knowledge.
There is no compression difference that I know of.

Reactions: DDS

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sadly not...
That's the problem I have when selling HMMWV engines to people who want them for their suburbans and pickups: Due to the different shape at the bottom, the mil pan sure does interfere with the crossmember...(!)
It must be the area in front of the sump or the front of the sump itself, I have never seen a cross member that passed under the sump on a GM pickup.
I could not find a cross from the civy oil pickup and the military pickup but it does not extend much lower than the pump on the military engine so he should be OK as long as the pan bolts up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks