• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchased a Deuce ... how do title?

colsoncj

Ok, so I purchased a M35A2 from a dealer in Arkansas (I live in Missouri). He got it from a GL auction. All I have is a bill of sale, but I can still contact him if I need his help in getting it titled. Question is, what do I need to do to get this titled.

From what I've gathered searching I may have to have him apply for a SF-97, then use that with the bill of sale to title it?

I havent the foggiest idea what to do yet, and I'm sure there's someone out there whos been in this before who can point me in the right direction! All help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

colsoncj

Well I'm planning on using it as a farm truck, so right now it wont leave the property. But if I can get it titled, i might take it off the property to run errands or watch people's faces.

treessw

if thats it, I would think that you could probably just get farm tags, that will allow you up to 100 miles of the farm. I also agree with gimp. Best bet always is to give cash with title in hand.

Stan

You got it correct. He needs to apply to GL for the SF 97, which has a fee involved. As a "dealer" he should be able to transfer this to you. In Mo. when you apply for a SF 97 GL had started issueing a Fl. title because the SF 97 was confusing to the Mo. DMV. Good Luck.

colsoncj

K, once he gets the SF-97, should he apply for title, then transfer, or can I take the SF-97 with the bill of sale and apply for title?

1redgmc

Lots of threads on here about titles and such. One thing I can tell you NOT to do is DO NOT USE a title service such as International Title Service in Nevada or whatever straw man company Joe Holmes is running now. BEWARE

I've learned my lesson the hard way. If seller does not have clear title in hand - walk away. There are too many other good deals to be had - or simply pay a little more and save yourself a ton of aggravation.

Agree with others that you need to make the guy produce a title.

Good luck!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
He bought the truck, he needs to get the title. Then he needs to sign the title over to you. He should not legally be able to transfer the sf97 to you.

1redgmc

He bought the truck, he needs to get the title. Then he needs to sign the title over to you. He should not legally be able to transfer the sf97 to you.
I couldn't agree more. When I told WV DMV what amounted to the exact same story - they called it "Title Skipping" and said it was illegal.

colsoncj

He was very willing to help get any documentation that I needed. I'll get in touch with him tomorrow and have him fill out the form to get the SF-97. Have him title it, and transfer the title.

1redgmc

He was very willing to help get any documentation that I needed. I'll get in touch with him tomorrow and have him fill out the form to get the SF-97. Have him title it, and transfer the title.
Good deal. A small amount of work on his end will save YOU a LOT of aggravation and money in the long run. As I said before, having learned my lesson the hard way - I would have GLADLY paid a few more $$ to avoid all of the hassle. [thumbzup]

colsoncj

I hear ya. I'll let everyone know how it works out...

Apparently doing some more research in the state of Missouri you can work with a circuit court, and file for a declatory judgement assigning ownership allowing you to title it. Shouldnt have to use that route, but nice to know its there.

Jimma

Some states like GA do not require the title or SF 97 because of the age of the vehicle. It can be inspected by local PD and form taken with reciept to tag office. It works here. I know its esier to have a title in hand but this will work at least in Georgia.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks